1950s Ray Gun

1950s Ray Gun

Hi guys! Saw one of those old 50s sci-fi movie ray guns on the internet and thought it would be cool to do my own. Im not 100% happy with the HDRI "reflections" though. Anyway of toning them down a bit? Or would I be better off just putting some random planes around the scene?

Attachments

• 1950s Super Death Ray upload.jpg
    1950s Super Death Ray upload.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 734
Hey Terry! Thanks for the link. Awesome model too! Is that one of yours?

Yes it is, it's when I first got hooked on chrome. It was just for practice. There are links everywhere on this forum. I actually did start on a ray gun myself but never finished it, I was kind of chromed out.

I hear you, chrome rules really. So does gold, I use the same HDRI and changed the colors in Photoshop, 1 blue for chrome, and 1 yellow-ish for gold. Now, you can never get enough gold. :)

Attachments

• harp.jpg
    harp.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 656
Finally found a work around/solution to my HDRI issues. I used a "semi-polished" steel texture for the HDRI.

Attachments

• 1950s Super Death Ray Rev2 upload.jpg
    1950s Super Death Ray Rev2 upload.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 659
Thanks for the tip Terry. Turning the gamma down made a massive difference, especially when using HDRI. I also used the entrance_hall image and it gave me a much more natural chrome ...plus the subject of the reflected image kinda makes it look like its sat in a museum.

Anyway here it is...

Attachments

• 1950s Super Death Ray upload.jpg
    1950s Super Death Ray upload.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 354
Thanks for the tip Terry. Turning the gamma down made a massive difference, especially when using HDRI. I also used the entrance_hall image and it gave me a much more natural chrome ...plus the subject of the reflected image kinda makes it look like its sat in a museum.

Anyway here it is...

Very nice, TankJon, looks great! :icon_thumbup: Yep that seemed to work. :)

I have yet to play the mothership zeta DLC but may not bother as its meant to be a bit pants!

Having said that though, from the screenshots Ive seen, I love the 1950s/1960s "vision of little green men from space" influence they have used in some of the game models.

Hi FruMurf!

Im glad you like it :)

Yeah the post isn't exactly to my liking either but it became a kind of 'quick fix'. Its something I keep meaning to get rid of but end up starting a new project :D

Back