Newbie Texture Confusion

Newbie Texture Confusion

I am new to 3D modeling, and have been experimenting with my new Cheetah 3D software for about 2 weeks. One problem I have not figured out is the apparently simple, yet oddly problematic material property settings. I have been able to use the color, texture, and emissive properties, but changing the bump mapping, reflection, and transparency appear to have no effect. I am wondering if perhaps there is a preference setting I do not know about? I have tried reading the tutorials and loading the tutorial demos but even these do not get the proper textures to show up. I am sure my computer meets all the system requirements, so I do not think it is a problem with my graphics card or anything like that. Does anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong?
In the picture the textured sphere and green glowing box work properly, but the yellow box has reflective intensity set to 1, the blue box should be transparent, and the red box has marble texture, but is still monochromatic???

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 373
Hi Jmoore

If you are having trouble with transparency, I hope this will help.

1: Create a cube.
2: Add the material Membrane.
3: Click the render button ( the cow up at the top of your screen ).

Play around with the settings, and don't forget the render button;) .
It will not appear to be transparent until you click the render button.
I just did what I told you and I got a nice transparent cube.
Below is what I got.

Hope this helps.
Eureka.

Attachments

• Picture 12.png
    Picture 12.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 362
Try rendering your scene (press the cow in your toolbar at the top). Reflection, bump and transparency don't show up in OpenGL.
And change your UV Scale for the marble object. (should be in the object properties tab).

Regards,

Peter

Hi,
many of the material properties can't be displayed by OpenGL. It is necessary to compute them on the CPU using the raytracer.
As already mentioned to compute the final image with all material properties you have to click on the cow icon.

By,
Martin

The render button! So simple! Now I feel somewhat foolish :oops: although I somewhat figured it would be something obvious I had overlooked.

Hey no problem! Feel free to always ask when you're stuck. Everyone here could probably tell you a similar story. Keep trying and asking. Post some pictures when you have rendered some nice models!

Regards,

Peter

Back