Subdivide a Selection using a Modifier

Subdivide a Selection using a Modifier

I'd like to put a subdivide on an object and have it only effect a selected portion of the mesh. Possibly there is a script around that someone can point me to?

By the way, I know I can subdivide portions of a mesh by calling Tools/Polygon/Catmull Clark Subdivide. I have a reason I would love it done using a modifier instead.

Thanks in advance!
--Shift Studio.

Mmmh - I don´t think it´s possible - unless you crease the rest of the mesh maybe like so:

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• PartialSubdiv.jpeg
    PartialSubdiv.jpeg
    27.3 KB · Views: 216
Mmmh - I don´t think it´s possible - unless you crease the rest of the mesh maybe like so:

Cheers
Frank

Hi Frank, thanks for the reply, in my case, I'm working with a sphere, subdividing 5 times, then a displacement with text, then another subdivide.
I think adding crease to all edges that are not to be subdivided would negate my last subdivide... not sure...

I'm wondering - would it be scriptable - I don't know how, but if its possible maybe I can request it in the scripts forum.

Thanks again, and if anyone else has thoughts, I'd love to hear!
--Shift Studio.

The subdiv will take place all over the mesh despite the creases - so no win situation other than subdividing a polygon selection (but expect nGons at the border).

Cheers
Frank

It's conceivably possible if you write your own scripted subdiv modifier that uses seams as creases (assuming you're not using seams for anything else ;-) ). Scripts can "see" creases and seams via the PolyCore edgeSelection method.

Then you could use "normal" subdiv modifiers when you wanted to ignore the creases, and the scripted modifier when you want to pay attention. But that's a lot of work.

It would be nice to have modifiers that can remember and work on selections (which is how modifier chains in 3ds max work), but that would entail an architectural change to C3D.

Last edited:
It's conceivably possible if you write your own scripted subdiv modifier that uses seams as creases (assuming you're not using seams for anything else ;-) ). Scripts can "see" creases and seams via the PolyCore edgeSelection method.

Then you could use "normal" subdiv modifiers when you wanted to ignore the creases, and the scripted modifier when you want to pay attention. But that's a lot of work.

Yes, it sounds like a lot of work, and yes, I am using seams for UV mapping, and its a little over my head.

It would be nice to have modifiers that can remember and work on selections (which is how modifier chains in 3ds max work), but that would entail an architectural change to C3D.

yes, it would be nice ;)

Thanks to both of you.
--Shift Studio.

Back