IK with objects help

IK with objects help

I am trying to get IK working with individual elements. Thanks to Frank, I learned a little about IK handle on a hierarchy. Now I need help implementing what I want.

First I have my initial upload:

initial.png

All I get is a purple line going from the base (root) to the head. If I start to move the head (IK handle) a little to the right or left, everything just tips over:

fall.png

What I want are imaginary joints in the spaces between the capsules. Without bones I don't know how to achieve this.

Thanks again for your help.

I think you need a helper at the end of the hierarchy and different pivot points:

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• FootLoose.jpeg
    FootLoose.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 225
Great image. Well, at first I tried exactly like you shown, yet it still fell flat. Then I decided to delete the IK handle, then moved the shapes like the letter C, then added the I IK handle then it worked, but only to the side the C was on, not the other.

I think this has something to do with "use preferred angle" and "set preferred angle" but I still don't understand the complete picture. What am I missing?

What am I missing?

Martin knows about his IK-solver limitations so if I were you I´d skip the IK completely. Turn on auto-keyframe and do your animation. Adding IK-handles could be a solution but that´s another story I´d skip as well. ;)
At least my set-up is posable - but not very robust:

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• ikHierarchyFrontView.jpeg
    ikHierarchyFrontView.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
I am confused. Your solution seems awesome, but are you saying ignore IK?

That actually might be possible, because I plan on making simple models for simple 3D games. I just want to make sure I understand you correctly.

IK tends to be fiddly.

First of all, it works best if the "rest position" of the "bones" (or other objects in the hierarchy) don't form a straight line (the initial "bends" are clues to the IK system on preferred bending angles.

Next, setting up poles and targets tends to make things much simpler.

In general, IK is great for some things, less great for others. I've known professional animators who rarely use IK for anything.

Frank, how can I use poses using FK and my cylinder test? I am watching the video training series on Cheetah 3D 5, and he is able to right-click on a window and add a poser tab. I don't see the poser tab in C3D 6?

Back