Legendary C64

Legendary C64

Hi folks,

looking for a new subject to put in scene I choose the "Legendary C64".

Modeled after some photos of the internet ... maybe there are some details which aren't accurate.

All done in C3D ... but I did add a tiny bit of "softlight" in post to get the "vintage" look.

Regards.

Attachments

• C64-Computer.jpg
    C64-Computer.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 918
  • C64-Logo1.jpg
    C64-Logo1.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 903
  • C64-Logo2.jpg
    C64-Logo2.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 906
  • C64-Power.jpg
    C64-Power.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 903
  • C64-C=.jpg
    C64-C=.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 904
Hi,

here are the remaining two shots which couldn't be uploaded in the first post because of the max file upload limit ...

Regards.

Attachments

• C64-IO1.jpg
    C64-IO1.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 889
  • C64-IO2.jpg
    C64-IO2.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 884
How many memories!
These pictures almost made me cry
Reviewing a brand new Commodore 64 is wonderful ..
but wait ... these are renders!
Really a great job as always.
It would be nice to know something more about materials, lighting and settings

Hi,

glad you like it ...

The modeling was pretty straight forward. Box, bevel, ringcut, scalpel, etc.

Used import children some times to bring in minor details as separate geo and welded them into the main geometry.

Has som precision issues with the scalpel tool ... it is way too inaccurate when working in detailed areas. There should be a key-combination to deactivate the 'stick to the near points'.

Lighting was also pretty straight forward: three area lights as key, fill and back plus an ambient light. Two reflector panes one black other white to control some of the reflections.

HDRI Entrance Hall from Cheetahs sample HDRIs. I got some improvement rotating the HDRI ... a lucky coincidence as I was trying to adjust another issue.

No radiosity.

The lights were grouped together so that I was able to rotate the setup as a whole to study the effects on the model which was quite easy to control in the model view.

Materials: all standard cheetah procedurals, except the table surface which is s pattern generated with Filterforge and then combined with a color gradient (value from image => position from gradient), reflection, etc.

To have a finer control over the bumpmap height I multiplied the noise output (colors 30% and 40% grey) with an additional color node. The 10% difference of the original noise colors produced way too accentuated bumps and with the additional color multiplication I could adjust this to the desired level.

Recipe: 25% knowledge, 25% perseverance, 25% instinct and 25% luck. :mrgreen:

Regards.

Last edited:
Great modeling and renders - brings back memories for me too - except I started programming on it's predecessor: the VIC-20.

You really did a fine job on this all around. I've been experimenting with lights without radiosity as well - you did a great job. And you did this all from images - Well Done :icon_thumbup::icon_thumbup:

Looks fantastic. Oh how much time did I spend playing games on my friends C64. These were great times. :redface:

Bye
Martin

Great work, you really got the textures thing nailed, super details. :cool:

Nice Formica table pattern to. :icon_thumbup:

Great renders, i really liked the materials, the way you applied the normal maps and how you modelled every little detail making it photorealistic!

I really liked the Grundig Radio, this is even better, you can actually 'feel' the bulk and weight of the keyboard, super realistic renders for both. :icon_thumbup:

That looks so real! I also loved the radio. Do you have a site with tutorials or do you plan to create video tutorials?

Very nice, you should sell the keyboard!

Very nice, you should sell the keyboard!
Hi,

glad you like it ...

The modeling was pretty straight forward. Box, bevel, ringcut, scalpel, etc.

Used import children some times to bring in minor details as separate geo and welded them into the main geometry.

Has som precision issues with the scalpel tool ... it is way too inaccurate when working in detailed areas. There should be a key-combination to deactivate the 'stick to the near points'.

Lighting was also pretty straight forward: three area lights as key, fill and back plus an ambient light. Two reflector panes one black other white to control some of the reflections.

HDRI Entrance Hall from Cheetahs sample HDRIs. I got some improvement rotating the HDRI ... a lucky coincidence as I was trying to adjust another issue.

No radiosity.

The lights were grouped together so that I was able to rotate the setup as a whole to study the effects on the model which was quite easy to control in the model view.

Materials: all standard cheetah procedurals, except the table surface which is s pattern generated with Filterforge and then combined with a color gradient (value from image => position from gradient), reflection, etc.

To have a finer control over the bumpmap height I multiplied the noise output (colors 30% and 40% grey) with an additional color node. The 10% difference of the original noise colors produced way too accentuated bumps and with the additional color multiplication I could adjust this to the desired level.

Recipe: 25% knowledge, 25% perseverance, 25% instinct and 25% luck. :mrgreen:

Regards.

Hi ...

@ST64 ... you're totally right ... already fixed that in the model ... thx for pointing out.

@paul030176 ... see the attachment. Basically 3 area lights, entrance hall pano HDRI which comes with Cheetah and a black reflector disk to give some contrast to the metallic C64 emblem on the case.

@podperson ... what can I say ... this is a very ugly glitch. I think I got distracted from the Mac keyboard which is all straight at both sides. We in hell did they shift the rows?

Regards.

Attachments

• LightSetup.jpg
    LightSetup.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 264
Back