Wrapping an inlay around a DVD case

Wrapping an inlay around a DVD case

I tried for hours, re-watched Andrew's tutorial DVD but I am stuck with this UV mapping thing.

I have created attached DVD case and and (sample) inlay bitmap. I would like to wrap it around three sides of the DVD case:

images

I have a created various seams but the UV map is always utterly messed up and I do not how to fix it. Could anyone help, please?

Attachments

• dvd.zip
    166.1 KB · Views: 205
Easy going.
Select the polygons where the cover should appear - make split. Get rid of all seams - you won´t need any.
Go UV Layout and go UV unwrap - the unwrapped island appears slightly rotated - bring it in an upright position.
Make your material and drag onto the split mesh. Further adjustments can easily made by scaling/dragging etc with all polygons selected.

If you need a short video on this let me know.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• dvd2.0.zip
    170.4 KB · Views: 238
Wonderful. Thanks 1000x.

It would be great if there would be a way to control the controls in the UV editor by numbers. It is quite difficult to do exact rotations by 90/180° or to align things.

I don´t think that would help here because the LSCM unwrap don´t care about your texture orientation.
So that´s where the UV pinning come into game. (Or Hiroto´s great UVstepper script).
Simple area select 4 rows an after another - pin the UVs and scale it along its axis and do an un wrap again.
If we could turn off antialiasing we would better see when it´s absolut horizontal or vertical like in the 3d View layout.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• UValigement.png
    UValigement.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 196
Back