JAS animations vanish in Unity

JAS animations vanish in Unity

I've roamed around the forum looking for an answer, and didn't find one, but I worked out an answer. It's a curious situation, but very easy to describe:

Make a box, animate it (just a one axis move would do). Save as JAS into the Assets of a brand new Unity project. Save as FBX too. In Unity place both into the scene, so you can watch both of them.

When you play the scene you'll find that the JAS one vanishes immediately. The FBX one animates correctly.

As Cheetah supposedly converts to FBX on the fly from JAS, there's something very strange going on. At least I know to export to FBX for now!

Ok, quick correction, and something that may amuse you:

The animation goes to its original coordinates, and isn't based on the location of where you placed it in the Unity scene. The JAS one seemed to disappear because it was the one I had moved to the side. If I move the FBX to the side instead, then it disappears and the JAS one remains visible. Of course, it didn't really disappear, it was just exactly on top of the other copy!

So, JAS and FBX are the same in how they work after all. To work around the issue in Unity I can create an empty game object, and make that be the parent of the Cheetah animating object.

That's a relief!

Jas and FBX should be the same since all that happens when you stick a Jas file in a Unity project is that Unity automatically exports an FBX using Cheetah.

Back