Shadow Pass

Shadow Pass

Hi,
Is there anyway to just render out the shadows? Or maybe a work around, I've been bending my brain for hours. :O

Thanks

Like this? This is just a transparent cube on a plane with a distant light overhead. Course, it's prob'ly not what you're looking for…

Attachments

• img.png
    img.png
    10 KB · Views: 315
Hi,
Is there anyway to just render out the shadows? Or maybe a work around, I've been bending my brain for hours. :O

Hi,
Depending on what you're trying to achieve, a render tag attached to your objects may help. Of course, you need to tick off the "visible for primary rays" parameter of the render tag.

mmm... I just need to render out just the shadows, on a pretty complex animation. I have a background plate of a hall way, in c3d I have modeled the hall way and so the walls can "catch" the shadows for compositing later.

Thanks,
Greg

Hi,
thinks like shadow layers for compositing aren't possible yet but I'm working on that. But that feature requires the new material system.

Bye,
Martin

This is Just an out there thought but could you bake the shadows then delete the objects that made them? I have no idea if C3D renders the second uv set or not though, I dont do a lot of rendering. If it did render 2 sets I guess it would need some gui stuff to set its blending.

So you could do it in realtime(Unity) but not in rendered output, now theres a reverse of the norm...

AaronC

Hi,

Thanks

if you have photoshop cs3 extended, you may render the animation two times, one without shadows, and then import in photoshop as animations in two layers and blend using exclusion mode and then invert.
this will not work with radiosity where the shadows influence the no-shadow areas.
i never tried this with shadows but i used this method to blend attenuation clamped and not clamped renderings because not clamped attenuation with radiosity renders very noisy.

- archie

Back