animate a zipper along an array

animate a zipper along an array

Hello all,

I try to animate a zipper to open when the zipperhead slides down. The zipper has been build from a spline which was first extruded and the used in an array to create the line of zipper parts. However I have the idea that it is not possible to animate the extruded spline objects individually along the zipper. Does anybody have a clue or can help me a little bit on how I should achieve this?

regards

Zipper.jas

Something like this maybe? Shear Modifier on Cage. Record>cage>angle>distance>position. (Right hand mouse click). Hope this helps.

Cheers
TerryG

Attachments

• zipper.jas.zip
    5.5 KB · Views: 253
Thanks for your help, but I'm looking for a more realistic way of doing this. I was hoping of a more individual way , so maybe more like an IK way to define how far the zipper pieces should bow when they hit the other zipper parts. Maybe it is not possible to do this in an array object ?

Hi.
That is not an easy task I guess but doable via morph tag.
Here´s an example; it´s totally wrong in its curvature but I used just two morph records.
The cloth will be another story.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• Zipperthingy.png
    Zipperthingy.png
    41.3 KB · Views: 431
  • WrongZipper.MOV.zip
    126.1 KB · Views: 252
I was playing with something entire different, but thought it could be used for a zipper.
Not exactly what you describe, but anyway.
Made this in a hurry...

Attachments

• zipper.jpg
    zipper.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 393
  • zippers.jas.zip
    57.3 KB · Views: 251
WOW, Teddy and Frank , that looks fantastic .. actually more than I wished for. I find it however difficult how Teddy build the zipper in de document provided. Could you give me a little more insight how you achieved the modelling of the zipper itself? Many thanks for now, I really enjoy the program but I came from GIG 3D GO and a littlebit wavefront. So have to get back again.

Back