Texture baking wierdness

Texture baking wierdness

When I bake on textures I'm getting some faces that come out looking sort of translucent where it should be colored. Here is an example of what i'm talking about. Any clue what i'm doing wrong to cause this? I'm baking textures with the following settings:

pixel border 4

Channels:
Color
Diffuse

Hand.png

Thanks for your help!

Thanks Frank, I've looked through the threads you posted but I still don't understand what is causing this. Also, I don't really understand what UV stepper does and how it would solve my problem. My texture seems to be aligned properly it's just showing a few faces (maybe 10) with a whitish/grey triangle as seen above.

The UV-stepper lets you swap your texture from UV2 to UV1.
Then it should appear properly attached to your mesh.
I think you´re rendering shows the tiled texture.

Cheers
Frank

Ok, I've downloaded the UV Stepper and used it and it still comes out looking the same.

Here is what I did.....

1. Added bake tag
2. Switched to face mode.
3. Click "create" on UV 2
4. Click Render>Bake texture
5. Save the baked texture
6. Deleted the original materials
7. Used the UVStepper.js to swap UV2 to UV1
8 Applied new baked texture

Still getting the funky scattered whitish faces. What am I doing wrong to cause them?

Thanks

7. generate new material, assign baked texture and apply to object.
8. Call UV stepper script: "SwapUV1 to UV2"; hit copy and you should instantly see your baked texture on your mesh.
So, was your object also set to UV1 while swapping?

Cheers
Frank

Yep... Thats exactly what I'm doing, including the steps you added.

Here is the before shot:

Before.png

Here is the after shot:

After.png

See how everything matches but I'm getting those weird white faces scattered throughout?

Hi Robb.
Ok - you got the texture thing sorted out I guess.
For the rest call the cleaning woman :p
Go in point mode and look at the point clouds: these are from deleted geometrie and those tiny polygons are "tramping polys". So wipe them out.
The whole mesh seems destroyed somewhat - by intention?

Cheers
Frank

Frank, Ummmm, I'm kinda new at Cheetah so I didn't understand hardly anything you said. Yes, I deleted a lot of the mesh because I'm using this in a game for a third person view and only need the top portion. I deleted the rest of the mesh to cut down on the poly count.

Now, what are tramping polys and how do I wipe them out? And what is a point cloud?

Thanks

Hi.
Tramping polys means useless polygons having no connection to the rest of the mesh and "point clouds" is pretty obvious: Points with no edges nor faces.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• PolyCloudsTramping.jpeg
    PolyCloudsTramping.jpeg
    103.4 KB · Views: 185
Back