Cubes to Splines Convertor?

Cubes to Splines Convertor?

I have a need to convert a collection of connected cubes (think minecraft or voxels) into a spline-like model in an automated fashion.

How would a C3D guru approach this?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Regards,
Jeremy

Not sure what you´re going to do with the splines - but there´s a Polygon2Spline.js script from master Hiroto in the script section of this forum:

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• Polygon2Spline.jpeg
    Polygon2Spline.jpeg
    31.6 KB · Views: 197
Not sure what you´re going to do with the splines - but there´s a Polygon2Spline.js script from master Hiroto in the script section of this forum:

Cheers
Frank

Thanks Frank - I will have a look at that script. Does that script perform smooth interpolation and averaging of any kind?

In your example, I would be looking for the end result to look more like a sphere - maybe with 5 nobly bits.

Hi Jeremy
I have used Hiroto´s script, inter alia, for space frames, nanotubes and Bucky balls. However, Hiroto´s script converts any edges into splines.
I believe that is not what you want to achieve. A sketch would certainly be of help.
Greetings from Vienna

Attachments

• SS01.png
    SS01.png
    209.9 KB · Views: 194
  • SS02.png
    SS02.png
    176.4 KB · Views: 191
  • SS03.png
    SS03.png
    176.6 KB · Views: 202
I found a script to voxellate a mesh, but I assume that is the exact opposite of what you want.
From my understanding, you already have an object like a complex Lego-like construct and you need to generate a meta-object based on these individual voxels.

What may work is the Smooth modifier. In the attached screen shot:
1 rear > original object
2 middle > voxellated object
3 front > smooth mod applied
* Of course, some details are lost (maxilla, mandibula, teeth, etc)
* The modifier also does not work on groups :frown:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-11 at 19.04.38.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-11 at 19.04.38.png
    484.8 KB · Views: 185
Back