Learn 3D with Cheetah 3D 6 — The Videos

ZooHead — I replaced the video with a better version that shows keystrokes and so forth. You probably picked the wrong moment :)

Hi Tonio, I just tried again and it's still not there.
Also most of the other tuts are gone as well. :frown:

Maybe it's a problem with my service provider, I still can't see the videos but the lights on my modem blink like crazy while
on the page, so I waited a while and still nothing.

Very odd. Not only do the videos load on the two machines I've tried, but the video previews come up really fast. Sadly the format I've chosen will not play back on iPads for some reason, so I may need to provide separate versions for people wanting to watch on an iPad.

Very frustrating, it won't work on either of my Macs.

Here's a screen shot.

Attachments

• missingvids.jpg
    missingvids.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 406
Ah, this is because you're using Firefox, the world's most retarded web browser (I say this as an early adopter and promoter of Firefox) and it looks like my Flash fallback is broken. The problem should go away if you use a browser with proper HTML5 video support (i.e. any other current browser).

I'll see what I can do about fixing the flash/firefox issue.

Edit: fixed. (The videos were there — they were just 0x0 ;-)

<rant>

As an aside (I make my living as a web developer), Firefox's lack of support for H264 is part of Google's war with Apple. Firefox's revenue mainly comes from Google (they're a not-for-profit that makes north of a billion dollars each year, mostly via Google) and Firefox's board is dominated by Google's concerns. So when Google decided to side with Adobe over Flash (and we know how that turned out) they lobbied Firefox to drop H264 support because it's "non-free" and did the same in Chrome. As it became obvious that this was a stupid decision, Google reversed it (Chrome now supports H264) but Firefox had sold itself the argument that H264 is non-free and thus evil and took a long time to come around. It has since reversed the decision, but it's taking a long time to actually roll out to the browser.

I should add that this decision was always stupid. H264 is no more "non-free and evil" than fonts. Yet all the browsers are happy to use non-free (even outright commercial) fonts if they're available. There's no cost to the user in either case — the system either has the font/codec or it doesn't.

Edit: interesting update on this fiasco here. So three years after Google screwed everyone by trying to sabotage H264 as a video standard, we still have no hardware acceleration for WebM, Firefox only plays H264 on Windows nightly builds, and Firefox is on its way to becoming the next IE6.

</rant>

In the very unlikely event that you're interested: I use HTML5 video tags on my website, and a little utility script I wrote replaces them with Flash tags on browsers that don't support the necessary codec. The bug was caused by my removing the fixed dimension attributes from my video tags to allow them to use available space efficiently. The downside is that the Flash switch now makes the site look a bit uglier. If I can figure out a nice (simple) way to fix this, I will.

Last edited:

That did it, thanks Tonio, and I always appreciate your technical
explanations even if I don't always understand everything.
Heck I'm not learning if I only think about things I know.

I use Firefox because it doesn't have a unified search bar.
I like the separate search bar and all the others don't have it.

Back