Crash importing large OBJ file

Crash importing large OBJ file

I am new to Cheetah3d - just bought it to have a convenient 3d modeler on the mac for my simulation work. I have a large 20M model of the skull that was originally created in Maya. It works fine in a number of other rendering programs so I know the file is OK. When try to import to Cheetah3d, it crashes with no indication of why. I have searched as best I could the messages here without success in answering this. I saw mention of log files but I have not figured out where these would live - I looked in the console app but nothing there.

Suggestions on how to sort this out ?

BTW, I have a bunch of other OBJ files from Maya as well and these load.

thanks
--dwight

I am new to Cheetah3d - just bought it to have a convenient 3d modeler on the mac for my simulation work. I have a large 20M model of the skull that was originally created in Maya. It works fine in a number of other rendering programs so I know the file is OK. When try to import to Cheetah3d, it crashes with no indication of why. I have searched as best I could the messages here without success in answering this. I saw mention of log files but I have not figured out where these would live - I looked in the console app but nothing there.

Suggestions on how to sort this out ?

BTW, I have a bunch of other OBJ files from Maya as well and these load.

thanks
--dwight

Hi and welcome here,
Please see the attached image. On the upper right, there is the bug icon (you may have to customize your tool bar - right click in it). Describe your problem and attach the report (checked). Martin will get it and look at it.
In anycase, the crash logs are located in /user/libraby/logs.
You could also maybe upload your file somewhere (yousendit.com ?) and provide the link to Martin to make it easier to find the problem.

Attachments

• Image 2.jpg
    Image 2.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
OK - found the crash log and bug reporter

I'll send that info in along with how to get the file itself
thanks
--dwight

Hello Dwight :)

I imagine that you most probably got a crash because of the size of your import model (20M?). It's most likely that you have zillions of polygons and Cheetah was struggling with that. Try decreasing the polygon count (don't ask me how to do this in Maya though!). There is software which will do this called a 'Polygon Cruncher', however I've yet to see one of these for Mac OS X.

I hope that helps :)

Back