Bending the planks of a bridge

Bending the planks of a bridge

Hi,

I'm trying to do something like in the picture but I can't figure out how to make the planks of the bridge to make a curve gradually other then rotating manually every plank which takes a while to do. Is there an easier way to do this?

thanks,
Django

Attachments

• bridge.jpg
    bridge.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 378
I'm not sure about this ,maybe you could give it a go with the Wrap modifier .
I know it works with one mesh .
Don't know if it wil work with several meshes at the same time .:confused:

Thanks for the reply. I tried fiddling with the Wrap modifier but it didn't work as intended. I haven't tried this modifier before so maybe its also me not using it properly.

Sorry it didn't work :frown:
I also don't use the wrap modifier a lot ,but i also needed a bended wooden board .
Here is the link to the post i did about it ,maybe it's helpfull to you .

http://www.cheetah3d.de/forum/showthread.php?t=3004

Scroll down at the topic beacause Frank didn't understand what i meant at first,it gets interesting if you scroll down ?
Frank is not able to help you right now because he is bbq'ing with self baked olive bread :)

Maybe this can help you ,and maybe not ?????
i'm not a pro ,could be i have it all wrong .

Kenneth

Align to path or bones

I really don´t know, but to me it seems obvious that every object should be able to get aligned/connected to a path or paths (along any axis) kind of rubber band bones : )

Added to wish list.

Jan Atom

hi.
easy going with the array&wrap modifier, burn transform and shell.
After wrapping the form out use burn transform, then use the shell tool.

frank

Attachments

• IndieBridge.png
    IndieBridge.png
    66 KB · Views: 342
  • IndieBridge.jas.zip
    18.7 KB · Views: 278
It works very well. Frank, you rock! I'll be able to build it really fast now. Thank you. Kenco was right about the wrap modifier. I just didn't know how set it properly because of my noobishness (is that even a word haha)

thanks to everyone for the help,
Django

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    59 KB · Views: 302
By the way...

If anyone has any tips for making the ropes it would probably be helpful. I've used a cylinder with array modifier and the wrap modifier to start with. I could also use Frank's method for the bridge but apply it to the ropes: After making a disk I use Array, Warp modifier then Shell.

Thanks,
Django

Hi,

I'm using it for a game in Unity3D so I have to watch out for the number of polygons but the first option is still interesting. The second option with the sweep creator, spline and bumpmap seems to be the best way to achieve what I'm seeking. I will look at the jas file and try them out. Thanks for your help ! :smile:

Django

Last edited:
Thanks! Here is my prototype!

Works like a charm! Here's a quick prototype. After I made it editable I used Optimize to lower the poly count which gave a total of 451 poly for everything you see in the picture! I did not use the pathed-helix, although I did try it but it gave me too many polys like Frank mentionned. However, it would be a great solution for someone that wants to create a very realistic rope. I will probably UV map a rope texture on the spline and use a bumpmap texture to give it a 3D feel.

Django

Attachments

• Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    138.2 KB · Views: 195
Back