CAD for Mac ?

I do however think that we should be as militant about Shark/ CU as we are with C3D and VW
I said VW was good software, not that the developers aren't greedy! But this is market economics: they charge what people will pay. And in this case, 'people' are the companies who use the software, and can justify $1,000 (or $10,000 or whatever) per license because it helps their business.

So don't be militant, just buy the software if it's worth it to you, or else support freeware or open source software, or 'non-greedy' developers like Martin - at least until Nemetschek makes him an offer he can't refuse...:tongue:

I'm confused. Max B, did you just delete a post? I've got a notification in my inbox which isn't in the tread :shock:
Nope, I didn't deleted anything. But yesterday, I also had a notification of a post (podperson's?) which disappeared the moment I was reading it?

So don't be militant, just buy the software if it's worth it to you, or else support freeware or open source software,

Even if it is Windows only?

I only get 'militant' because MCAD developers won't support the platform I am so passionate about!

Anyhow, I'm now coming to the end of my degree. It is highly unlikely that I will be able to go on and do a masters for the time being, so I'll probably end up working for Apple at the Genius bar for a couple of years learning ObjC+ in my spare time (as well as playing with my kids! :D )

I've just tried the ViaCAD beta OBJ export with C3D. IT WORKS!! Really well too!!

Could this be the Killer architectural visualisation duo for the Mac that everyone has been waiting for?? :cool: :cool: :cool:

test file for export

I'd like to test this OBJ import also.
Could one folk with this beta load the attached test file (from CU) and export it to OBJ for me?

IMO Sketchup/C3d is the pair for architectural, viacad-shark/C3d for mechanical/nurbs and C3d stand alone for organic/subdivision.

Attachments

• topdeq_bar.cu.zip
    218.9 KB · Views: 224
Like this?

I'm afraid it doesn't seem to translate to well to C3D. It seems to loose the foot rest. :shock:

Attachments

• topdeq_bar.cu.obj.zip
    16 KB · Views: 238
You know that this could be a fault with CU. Because, I've just exported a Solidworks file via IGES, imported that into ViaCAD, then exported that to C3D, and apart from a few flipped normals, the model looked great, just like the original!

You know that this could be a fault with CU.
@ttrw
I opened it in the Shark demo and saw my model ok.
In Viacad, you see like the image below?

However, the material assignment are not preserved for polygons succesfully exported. Even if I do material adjustment in C3d, keeping assignment from the modeler is useful for use with smartfolder.

Attachments

• Image 1.png
    Image 1.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
Oh yes, it opened fine in ViaCad. Just like this. But what I'm saying is that it didn't do so well importing into Cheetah.

Hello:

Just thought I share this. The rusted part, sans the texture, was created in ViaCad (thank you frank!). :tongue:

Gobos

Attachments

• Rusted_Iron.jpg
    Rusted_Iron.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 322
Back