Problem with importing text and using Extrude

Problem with importing text and using Extrude

I am having a problem with some text when I import it into Cheetah. Would you be able to help me and tell me where I am going wrong? I have been using Cheetah 3D for a couple of weeks so the solution may be obvious to someone more experienced.

Everything seems fine until I try and add a bevel to the text and then several “spiky” bits appear on some of the letters. For clarity I have shown the steps below and then a picture of step 5 and 6. I am using the word ‘barcode’. The spikes are still there even after I have rendered the scene.

In Illustrator:
1. Select ‘barcode’ as in picture Step 1 and make a compound path.
2. Save as SVG file.

In Cheetah:
3. Import SVG file – 2 paths appear in the Object Browser.
4. Add 2 Extrude objects and drop one Spline path object onto each.
5. Manipulate Extrude objects until they appear as in picture Step 5 (so far so good).
6. Add bevel to both Extrude objects and this when “spikes” appear as in picture Step 6.

I created the text in Illustrator by tracing another text and adapting it to give it a ‘21st century’ feel. Could this be causing the problem?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Step%201.png

Attachments

• Step 1.png
    Step 1.png
    78.2 KB · Views: 450
  • Step-5.jpg
    Step-5.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 384
  • Step-6.jpg
    Step-6.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 379
Hi Frank
Many thanks for your help so far. What you described made sense so I had a crack at it but still seem to have the same problem. I tried highlighting the points where the worst problem is and then choosing Object>Path>Join from the menu but only get the attached message . It's probably quite fundamental but I am not sure what to do next.
I know the problem originates in Illustrator and this is a Cheetah forum but other Illustrator users I have spoken to (none of whom use Cheetah) understand what the problem is.
So, I would be really grateful for any assistance you can provide me with this. Let me know if you would like me to send you the file.
Thanks again Frank.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    46.3 KB · Views: 343
Remember when you asked me why I cut up paths the way I did in a simpler situation Frank? This is why.

The safest option for importing paths into ANY 3D app is to simplify your path so it's a single closed loop. In the case of a hollow figure, such as the letter "O" or your logo there, this can involve cutting incisions into the compound path making it into a single path with small gaps. You can then close the gaps by moving the vertices, or whatever. The result will guarantee a clean import into the 3D program.

That said, C3D *can* handle hollow figures most of the time if you get the export just right.

Back