Baking procedural metal shaders?

Baking procedural metal shaders?

Can the metal textures be baked? It only renders black when I try to bake them - other procedural textures like Wood or Marble work fine.

I have a backdrop that uses Aged Metal and it takes longer to render than I'd like so I thought I'd try baking the texture to see if that speeds things up for my animation.

Hi,
a diffuse or emissive material is a view independent material since it looks the same from all directions.

A glass or metal material on the other side appears different if you look at it from different directions. It's therefore view dependent.

Bye
Martin

Thank you for the explanation.

FYI I managed to get what I needed just by rendering the aged metal to a plane that filled the viewport and using the rendered result as the base texture for my background. Renders much quicker than applying the procedural texture to the background.

Last edited:
I managed to get what I needed just by rendering the aged metal to a plane that filled the viewport and using the rendered result as the base texture

Brilliantly simple. Thanks! I would imagine one could touch it up in image editing software to make it tile seamlessly as well.

Back