TeaMaker

TeaMaker

Still trying to get to grips with C3D, any suggestions on lighting and how to make the tea look more realistic, I have been tweaking with the lighting, radiosity and material settings but can't seem to get it right....

Attachments

• TeaMaker001.png
    TeaMaker001.png
    274 KB · Views: 510
  • TeaMaker002.png
    TeaMaker002.png
    267.4 KB · Views: 505
Last edited:
This is a great start! I've not done huge amounts myself with liquid but I'm sure someone will be able to step in and help.

Dave

Still trying to get to grips with C3D, any suggestions on lighting and how to make the tea look more realistic, I have been tweaking with the lighting, radiosity and material settings but can't seem to get it right....

Hi, tea should have the same IOR as water but it is not going to be uniformly transparent from top to bottom. You can fake it a little by adding some transparency blur to your water material. Increase the blur to "taste". Here is a quick comparison of the default water and water with some blur.

Cheers.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-01 at 10.29.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-01 at 10.29.58 AM.png
    272.1 KB · Views: 420
  • tea_vs_water.zip
    113.2 KB · Views: 521
Last edited:
Hi, tea should have the same IOR as water but it is not going to be uniformly transparent from top to bottom. You can fake it a little by adding some transparency blur to your water material. Increase the blur to "taste". Here is a quick comparison of the default water and water with some blur.

Cheers.

Hi icodealot, Thanks for the example you uploaded, this is very helpful,,,,the question I have, do you model the tea as separate object and scale it down say by 0.99 or would you split the inner surface of glass, flip norms, fill hole and apply liquid (Tea) material?

tried to up load my file, too big, hope the link bellow works,,,,check it out and let me know what you think.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9fzciuv9it9hvdg/TeaMaker.jas?dl=0

Thanks Again

I´d make sure the liquid is in the glass; between the glass surfaces.
I made a new tea mesh - bent the surface where it touches the glass; surface tension. I used Radiosity instead of AO and that´s what it looks like with increased max ray depth:
Every other properties left untouched.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• EarlGrey.jpg
    EarlGrey.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 403
I´d make sure the liquid is in the glass; between the glass surfaces.
I made a new tea mesh - bent the surface where it touches the glass; surface tension. I used Radiosity instead of AO and that´s what it looks like with increased max ray depth:
Every other properties left untouched.

Cheers
Frank

Hi Frank,,,,Please can you show the tea mesh separately, without a render.....Thanks

this thread is great - I had never before considered how the surface of the water is deformed by surface tension (liquid inside a vessel) - these examples are great - thanks everyone!!

Back