Help needed with baking (again)

Help needed with baking (again)

I'm following my own instructions from a simpler example and it's not working... I cannot figure out why.

This is the original scene. I have a polygon object with a baking tag, UV baking coords being written to UV2.

The baked texture for the object

Material created from just-baked texture to test that the baking worked by applying as color channel texture to a copy of the original polygon object

Original polygon object hidden, copy made (BilliardsTable.1)

Add just-baked material tag to copy; note: selected is UV2 set.

FAIL

What am I doing wrong?

What's telling is that the cushions and table surface (i.e. the red parts) are the only materials with color channel textures. The rest of the materials are just solid colors. Note that the last image shows all gray everywhere else.... Even though I've generated UV baking coords for the entire table it seems that the UV coords for the UV2 set (baked UVs) are only applied to the polygons in the original object that have a material with a color channel texture.

Thus, it seems that applying the baked texture as a material to test the baking process always uses UV1 even though I have UV2 selected in the editor options for the object.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 313
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 314
  • 004.png
    004.png
    87.1 KB · Views: 313
  • 005.png
    005.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 299
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:
uv1.jpg
UV editor for object, showing UV2

uv2.jpg
loading the just-baked texture as material then editing it to see how it aligns with the UV2 set for the to-be-baked object

Attachments

• uv1.jpg
    uv1.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 308
  • uv2.jpg
    uv2.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 297
I worked around this entire issue by just keeping everything on UV1.

The only issue with that is that I lose whatever texture I had already mapped to UV1. I actually painted that texture (simply a detail texture with a white line) in C3D. So I just created baking coords on UV1, repainted the texture and baked.

It works, but I'm quite confused why things didn't work on UV2.

It works in UV2, but C3D won't display the results -- it used to (inconsistently) but apparently Martin deliberately removed the feature (probably because it was buggy).

I've had an email exchange with Martin on the subject.

At minimum, C3D could really use a "swap UV sets" function. I guess it's probably scriptable.

Back