Serious problems with polygon selection sets

Serious problems with polygon selection sets

I'm pulling my hair out right now due to bugs with the polygon selection sets. I have a polygon mesh with several sub parts to it.

I'm trying to go through the process of creating polygon sets (selection group, polygon selection: 0, 1, 2, etc.) and assigning appropriate materials to each set.

The problem is that there are bugs when changing the active selection set. For starters, it seems that if I create 5 selection sets (# 0-4), then select the 6th (# 5) which has yet to have anything selected, it has preselected the same polygons as the first (# 0). Select the 7th (# 6) and it has preselected the same polygons as the second set (# 1). You seem to be doing some sort of modulus operation here.

That would be fine if I could then change the selection without it affecting the original set. No such luck.

Also, it seems that every 3rd or 4th time I change selection sets, they seem to move to another slot/set number or disappear entirely.

BTW perhaps a thing to add to the wishlist would be to use some inverted color for polygon selections. It's next to impossible to determine what's selected if you have reddish textures assigned.
Please look into this. Thanks.

Hi,
the polygon selections are also used to assign materials to certain polygons. So if you drag a drop a material to a polygon selection this selection will be used to create a new material polygon selection.

I guess to worked with a selection maybe polygon selection 2 and then you dragged and dropped a material onto this selection. This caused the creation of a new identical polygon selection to which the material is assigned.

Bye,
Martin

Oh! OK. That's good to know.

Is there a way to disable this behavior? Or do you have another recommendation?

I want to select faces into a polygon selection set AND set a material on them, maintaining the same selection sets.

For assigning materials to a polygon selection you don't have to change the polygon selection manually. Just work in polygon selection 0. Select the polygons you want to apply a material and then drag & drop the material to it. Cheetah3D does the rest.

Bye,
Martin

Ah, now I understand why you create selection sets when assigning materials. If I work on set 0 and keep selecting new faces, then assign materials, when I'm done I'll have a number of selection sets in 1,2,3... OK.

Perhaps I missed this in the help?

Nope...

>>
Multiple polygon selections
Every Polygonobject has 16 totally independent polygon selections. You can switch between these selections with the polygon selection property in the properties browser.

These multiple polygon selections are normally used to assign more than one material to a mesh. You can assign a brown material to polygon selection 1 and a grey material to polygon selection 2 (as in the example above). See also the material tag for using multiple materials per mesh.

The polygon tools always use the current polygon selection. The polygon selections won't be destroyed by using polygon tools normally.

Properties

polygon selection: The current polygon selection.
polygons: The number of triangles and quads in the mesh.
<<

OK.. Thanks Martin!

Last edited:
Back