confused about materials and import children

confused about materials and import children

Hi -- I'm trying to combine multiple polygon objects into one composite polygon object. The goal here is to bake the composite object and end up with a single baked texture map. However, I'm having problems in that the imported polygon object seems to take on the material of the parent object after the 'import children' operation. How do I get the child (now merged) object to maintain its materials, UVs, etc.?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 348
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 342
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 342
Sadly, C3D loses/hoses material mappings when you import children ... unless (I think) you have all the materials assigned to each object (parent and children) in the same order before you start.

I *think* that I reported this as a bug, but maybe not.

Sadly, C3D loses/hoses material mappings when you import children ... unless (I think) you have all the materials assigned to each object (parent and children) in the same order before you start.

I *think* that I reported this as a bug, but maybe not.

Hmmm I tried that and it didn't work. Martin -- any idea?

BTW, ultimately I'd like combine all the objects in the given (attachment) group into one object.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 333
Anyone have some magic technique they can throw my way before I take the painful plunge of importing children and re-materialing everything?

so I tried to do the import-children task to see how bad it would be to reapply my materials by selecting each set/group of polygons manually after the import .... it turns out that C3D somehow "remembers" which polygons belonged to the same group prior to the import children operation! This made reapplying the materials a piece of cake!

Yay!

That's something I guess :)

BTW if your materials are relatively simple (e.g. flat colors) you're better off making a very simple single material (with different swatches of color on it) and then assigning materials by UV-mapping instead of using separate materials because, for most realtime 3d engines, there's an overhead for rendering models with multiple textures.

This approach would also eliminate this particular problem.

I corresponded via email with Martin about this issue and he says he'll try to fix it after v5 is done.

Back