Selection problem

Selection problem

Hi, new here!

I'm currently testing Cheetah 4.6 but have a serious problem.
I've imported a 3DS file containing LOTS of meshes. The model by itself seems to be ok BUT I cannot select some of the tiny meshes here and there... I've tested with several models of mine and same thing, tiny meshes are always a big problem. This make the soft completely useless for me... :(

I've been looking for some setting for the "sensibility" of the selection but haven't find anything. Could it be a problem of depth sorting? Anyone found himself in such situation?

Do you have the option to export the file as .obj or .fbx before you import it to cheetah3d? As far as I know Cheetah3D like them better. But I might be wrong, I haven`t imported any .3ds files into cheetah3d myself yet! But it is worth a try. or post the file, so that we can try it out!

Hi.
You can increase the radius within the selection tool. But if this doesn´t help I would group the whole mesh and scale it up or tell the 3ds import scale factor at the import properties to do so.

With kindest regards
Frank

Do you have the option to export the file as .obj or .fbx before you import it to cheetah3d? As far as I know Cheetah3D like them better. But I might be wrong, I haven`t imported any .3ds files into cheetah3d myself yet! But it is worth a try. or post the file, so that we can try it out!

I'll try this. I find a bitt odd Cheetah would have some trouble with 3DS as it's still one of the most common format out there... If it's the case (and I suppose it is, else you would not say that ;) ), why this problem has never never been adressed?? (Cheetah is 4.6 now!! :shock: )

Last edited:
How? Remember I'm trying a simple mesh selection, not a poly selection...
In the properties of the selection tool. In object mode with the selection tool click on the object in the 3D view should do it.

This, I have done without success unfortunately... :mad:
Tx anyway for the tip!
If you don´t mind send the file over and I`ll look into it (frank-beckmann at hamburg.de) or zip and post it.

(Cheetah is 4.6 now!! )
No it´s 4.6.1;)

Cheetah3d doesn´t have a problem I know off.

With kindest regards
Frank

Last edited:
If you don´t mind send the file over and I`ll look into it (frank-beckmann at hamburg.de) or zip and post it.

See the red arrow? this mesh need some constraint tuning, but no way to select it. Same for the blue arrow, no seelction possible even with a radius of 1 for the select tool...

ffff.jpg

Here the 3DS to test:
View attachment fff.3ds.zip

Off course this is an example, in the full model, no way to select the meshes in the list because they are too numerous and without particular name...

I made a screenshot to show you how "big" the "crap" is you´re fishing for.
As I already said; group the objects and scale them up to say x,y,z=200 or increase the scale factor of the 3ds loader before you import the 3ds file to avoid this kind of microscopic displaying.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• Micro3ds.jpeg
    Micro3ds.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 217
I made a screenshot to show you how "big" the "crap" is you´re fishing for.
As I already said; group the objects and scale them up to say x,y,z=200 or increase the scale factor of the 3ds loader before you import the 3ds file to avoid this kind of microscopic displaying.

Cheers
Frank

Fine, but this is still a problem and even if scaling before importing is a solution, Cheetah still have some problem to select microscopic "crap" as you call it...
I don't see why one could not select something he can see... :???:

Anyway, even if no one will care to fix such bug, Tx for the feedback! :-D

In my former post you should see that I selected the polygons of the part you mentioned. I set the scale factor to 0.01 in the 3ds loader and imported the file you attached. Now you navigate to the part and select what you want.
At least this is the way it works for me on this file.

Cheers
Frank

Or just use realistic units of measure when modeling the original 3DS.

I try to use MKS for all of my simulations since it's, you know, standard. :)

I was *kidding* rather than being pedantic. The fact that the US shares this "feature" with Myanmar/Burma is not a positive argument.

I prefer the metric system -- although MKS is beyond "metric" (cgs is also metric).

As for whether Burma exists or not, I think that "Myanmar" falls into the "random dumb renamings by loony communist regimes that can be ignored and -- once they fall -- forgotten, just as no-one in Vietnam calls Saigon "Ho Chi Minh City" and the fact that Cambodia was "Kampuchea" under Pol Pot would be considered a pretty hard trivia question.

Back