Cutting objects in half

Cutting objects in half

Hi all,

Just curious if there is a way to slice an object in half and have it become two equal and separate objects?

I tried the "Split" command on a simple cube by selecting the top half, but as you may already know, the new object was not a closed solid, (not a biggie), and the original piece was still it's regular size not the half that I was expecting.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

Split is annoying... you need to go back and delete the bit you split off manually -- the bit stays selected but it's easy to mess up and delete the whole object or lose the selection owing to C3D's finicky selection behavior. (I'd make changing this a wishlist item, but it's not a big priority, at least for me.)

Silo has an awesome feature where you can draw a line and slice a model neatly in two. The equivalent in C3D would be to duplicate the object, and then boolean it with two copies of the same cube (subtracting the cube from each half). Unfortunately, C3D triangulates meshes in the course of applying booleans (and it has a few other issues with booleans, but you can work around those) so the results aren't as "clean" as those you get in Silo.

Images are:

Before Shot (Silo 2.1)
After Shot (Silo 2.1)
After Shot (C3D 4.6.2) showing boolean hierarchies

Attachments

• silo 3d cut.png
    silo 3d cut.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 657
  • Picture 7.png
    Picture 7.png
    24.5 KB · Views: 637
  • Picture 8.png
    Picture 8.png
    125.2 KB · Views: 678
Yes the Silo cut tool is a nice one - but it don´t split the object into two different objects unless you select the cut edge - make a break - select one half - do a copy&paste - turn back to the former object and - delete the copied half there.

If one can go with existing edges you can select a bunch of polys representing one half and use the "disconnect tool" - the two halfes resides in one mesh (like in Silo).

With kindest regards
Frank

Attachments

• Disconnect1.png
    Disconnect1.png
    55.4 KB · Views: 608
Ummmm....

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for the replies. You are all very helpful.

So basically at this point there is no easy way to slice an object in two using a plane as the cutting tool and producing two unrelated objects?

And Pod, thanks for the screenshots, those are always very helpful.

Finally, I am unfamiliar with Silo, is it a plug-in or a stand-alone app?

Thanks again,

Rick

Finally, I am unfamiliar with Silo, is it a plug-in or a stand-alone app?
It's a stand-alone application, and a very capable modeler at a low price. :)
Otherwise you could eventually test Wings3D, which is quite like Silo but free.
The "only" problem being it is written in an "exotic" language (erlang) and the performance as well as the GUI aren't that good... :redface:

Cheers,
Laurent aka Tartiflette :)

Just info:
Now that we have proper nGon-Booleans one might can cut through a mesh/object with a very very thin plane or box:
Cutting plane.gif

Cheers
Frank

Reactions: DEO
Back