Squiggly numbers

Squiggly numbers

Hi guys, I wonder if anybody knows what's going wrong here? The 8 is a material, the outline of the white circle has a Toggle Seam. When I put a Subdivision on the ball the number goes squiggly. Any ideas? Just seems like a really odd thing to happen.

Thanks
TerryG

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    48 KB · Views: 261
  • Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    48.5 KB · Views: 261
When you turn on "wires" you will notice that the triangles at the top of the sphere is causing this.
Better to have the right resolution in first place or collapsing the SubDiModifier first and unwrap then.
Or find another way to model or unwrap.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• TrisVsnGons.jpeg
    TrisVsnGons.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 254
When you turn on "wires" you will notice that the triangles at the top of the sphere is causing this.
Better to have the right resolution in first place or collapsing the SubDiModifier first and unwrap then.
Or find another way to model or unwrap.

Cheers
Frank

Thank you, Frank. Hmm, a bit tricky isn't it. I think since it isn't going to be animated (at least I don't think it is), I'll go the Photoshop route and paste the 8.

Thanks again
Terry

Really not tricky. But avoid to assign the SubDiMo after unwrapping.
Simply make a sphere with say up to 50x50 iterrations and make it editable. Now you can put your texture on the top faces without any distortion.

Cheers
Frank

The standard sphere representation (longitude and latitude) is actually kind of horrible topologically -- it also uses polygons very wastefully at the poles.

You'd be better off making a geodesic -- take an icosahedron, apply subdiv to it, and apply the spherize modifier. Now you have a geodesic sphere of arbitrary precision that uses polygons in a completely uniform way.

For precise UV mapping you might like to subdiv 2 levels, make editable, do your UV mapping, and then apply a new subdiv for extra precision when rendering.

The standard sphere representation (longitude and latitude) is actually kind of horrible topologically -- it also uses polygons very wastefully at the poles.

You'd be better off making a geodesic -- take an icosahedron, apply subdiv to it, and apply the spherize modifier. Now you have a geodesic sphere of arbitrary precision that uses polygons in a completely uniform way.

For precise UV mapping you might like to subdiv 2 levels, make editable, do your UV mapping, and then apply a new subdiv for extra precision when rendering.

Thank you very much guys. If I have to I'll redo the pool balls, but I'll wait to hear how the job unfolds. It seems triangles are such a problem, makes you wonder how some models seem to be nothing but triangles?

Thank you very much guys. If I have to I'll redo the pool balls, but I'll wait to hear how the job unfolds. It seems triangles are such a problem, makes you wonder how some models seem to be nothing but triangles?
We had this already - but can´t find it anymore. When I read correctly.

Here´s a neat trick - try this at home:)
Take a box.
Make it editable and set seams for say the "T"-UV layout.
Mark every point in point mode and pin the UVs.
Now throw in a SubDi&Spherify modifiers and make editable again.
Call "Unwrap UV" again - bingo: no tris :cool:

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• SquareUVsOn Ball.jpeg
    SquareUVsOn Ball.jpeg
    56.7 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
The thing is, Frank, what you call a neat trick, I would call a very complicated and confusing operation. When I try it I get a jellyfish from outer space. :confused: To be honest I try and stay away from UV mapping if I can. Too many jellyfish involved. :p

But thanks as always.

TerryG

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    115.1 KB · Views: 237
Back