UV Mapping is driving me bonkers!

UV Mapping is driving me bonkers!

I'm trying to map uv's on a cube with a little detail on each side. I've tried all sorts of methods, read the help, watched Andrew's tutorials, but success continues to elude me.

So far I've tried:

1. Taking the final model, applying a seam, and choosing Unwrap UV. Result: Mess.

2. Start from scratch, apply a seam, Unwrap UV. Result: Nice UV map (although rotated at 45 degrees - why does it do that?). Go back and add detail to a surface, paint on UV, adding detail obviously destroys existing UV info as the painted areas don't map properly to the edited object.

3. Start from scratch, add detail to one surface. Select all the faces within that surface, Unwrap UV. This has unpredictable results - sometimes the UV map appears correctly, sometimes it takes faces within the surface and maps them to an entirely different area of the map (screenshot attached).

What am I doing wrong? I chose a simple cube as I thought it would be quite straightforward, but even that has dumbfounded me.

I've also attached the .jas, so if you like you can have a rummage around directly....

Thanks for any help :)

Attachments

• Crate.jas.zip
    3.1 KB · Views: 220
  • grab.jpg
    grab.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 262
Hi.
1. You should inspect your mesh; there are some double faces at the detail on the top of the mesh.
2. There´s no "Instant-Bliss-Button" for proper UV layouts.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• Crate4U.jas.zip
    4.9 KB · Views: 211
  • CrateUVs.jpeg
    CrateUVs.jpeg
    48.6 KB · Views: 255
Thanks - I had no idea those extra edges were there!

I've gone back to my original model, set view to wireframe, and sure enough there they are. They seem to be drawn in a different colour to regular edges, though, and mysteriously they can't be deleted....

Perhaps an easier way would be to assign individual materials to the various parts of the crate, then bake a texture from it...?

M

Back