Locations by the numbers.

Locations by the numbers.

Hey Guys,

Is there anyway to remove unwanted tessellation lines from the face of an extrusion or polygon disc as shown in the attached file?

I have tried deleting all of the sections on the face and using "fill hole" but it simply will not do it, and even if it did, I bet it would give me similar results.

I just need a continuous uninterrupted surface for this build and the extrusion won't provide it.

Why not just build a polygon object you may wonder? Well, I did this and it worked great. The problem is, is that I can't find a good way to control my points so that I am certain of their location. Which is why I did the profile in Illustrator and then extruded it, because I can get exact point positioning in Illustrator.

So what I am asking is, if someone knows a way that I can re-tessellate a surface to my liking, or tell me if there is some way to control points by the numbers (coordinates, etc.) so that I can get the transform tool to move to an exact numeric position, or preferably both.

Thanks in advance gentlemen,

Rick

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    289.1 KB · Views: 294
I'm very new too to Cheetah and 3d modelling, but I did this:

1. Make a cube
2. Make it editable
3. Edge-mode on
4. Multi-select those edges you want to flatten
5. Right-click and chose Inner Extrude, drag mouse to size it
6. Polygon mode on
7. Select all those extra faces, delete them
8. The cube now has holes, select point mode
9. Right-click and pick Fill hole.
10. Click on a point on the hole's edge.

I'm sure there are plenty of ways to achieve the same effect.

I have tried deleting all of the sections on the face and using "fill hole" but it simply will not do it, and even if it did, I bet it would give me similar results.

You need to switch to edge mode and delete the edges/lines, not the polygons, then "fill hole" should work.

You need to switch to edge mode and delete the edges/lines, not the polygons, then "fill hole" should work.

Thanks for the tip Archie, but I did try that previously. It seems that after I select the Fill Hole option and locate my point it just beeps at me with my selected error tone.

It's really annoying. I think it may only be a problem with extrusions that are performed on imported geometry, but I can't prove it.

Thanks for your reply and your help regardless.

Rick

It seems that after I select the Fill Hole option and locate my point it just beeps at me with my selected error tone.

As I don't have or even know Illustrator, I cannot reproduce your problem. Maybe you can provide a file ?
By the way, have you checked the "preserve group" button when extruding ?

As I don't have or even know Illustrator, I cannot reproduce your problem. Maybe you can provide a file ?
By the way, have you checked the "preserve group" button when extruding ?

Hi Archie,

After I reimported the Illustrator file, I tried using the Polyplane creator object instead of the Extrude creator object and then I used the other extrude command under Tools/Polygon/Extrude on the polyplane. I removed the tessellated pieces on the front face, which left me with an open shell. I then used the Fill Hole command and lo and behold, it worked. I was left with a tessellation free top surface. Must be an issue with the Extrude Creator object.

Now that I have an answer for that, I would still like to find an answer on how I can control the exact location of spline points so that I don't need to lean on Illustrator so heavily. Don't get me wrong Illustrator is awesome, but it's nice when I can stay in Cheetah as long as possible.

Thanks Archie!

Rick

I then used the Fill Hole command and lo and behold, it worked. I was left with a tessellation free top surface. Must be an issue with the Extrude Creator object.

Hi Rick,

good to hear that you found a workaround already.
Now that I know that it's about splines, I used the extrude creator on one of cheetah spline objects and could reproduce the problem.
My solution was to select all front polygons and then choose selection menu : convert selection to points, which will get you rid of one extruded layer, but now fill hole works.

I rarely use splines instead of box modeling, so I'm sorry to have no experience to help you, though I would recommend to practice with cheetah despite its flaws, cause you will get used to it and after some time discover more workarounds and shortcuts.

I wish you happy modeling,

Archie

Hi Rick,

good to hear that you found a workaround already.
Now that I know that it's about splines, I used the extrude creator on one of cheetah spline objects and could reproduce the problem.
My solution was to select all front polygons and then choose selection menu : convert selection to points, which will get you rid of one extruded layer, but now fill hole works.

I rarely use splines instead of box modeling, so I'm sorry to have no experience to help you, though I would recommend to practice with cheetah despite its flaws, cause you will get used to it and after some time discover more workarounds and shortcuts.

I wish you happy modeling,

Archie

Thanks Archie!

I agree that Cheetah is always worth the time spent. I do get some frustration from time to time due to my ignorance, but the joy of working with the program outweighs any of the inconveniences.

I sure am looking forward to version 5 that's for sure.

Best of luck in your journey Archie.

Rick

Is there anyway to remove unwanted tessellation lines from the face of an extrusion or polygon disc as shown in the attached file?

Hi.
You need to optimize the mesh in first place to connect the main mesh with front&back cover polys - then you can use Hiroto´s great "dissolve.js" script to get rid of the unwanted edges.
http://www.cheetah3d.de/forum/showthread.php?p=26499#post26499

Cheers
Frank

PS: easiest way nowadays: select edges and hit backspace to delete or delete tris and use fill hole or don´t use extrude-creators cover function - make editable and fill hole then:

Attachments

• DisolveEdges.gif
    DisolveEdges.gif
    49.8 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Back