Symmetrical Mode

Symmetrical Mode

As well as the symmetry tools in Cheetah 3D, it would be great to have a symmetric mode (so that any operation performed on the positive side of the X axis was reflected on the negative side and vice versa.

This would allow lower polygon counts (because you wouldn't be forced to place an often superfluous seam down the middle of the model) and would be more versatile for a lot of purposes.

a simple symmetrical mode would be sooo nice!!!

I often had the problem in cheetah, that the two halfs were not welded correctly (soft models). for example an egg. there was always a "sharp" edge
all around the shapes outer symmetrical axxis, had to do "micro operations" to correct it:(

Hi.
Sorry for my ignorance. I never had a prob with that at any time. But I got my workflow already:wink:

With kindest regards
Frank

Attachments

• EggHead.jpg
    EggHead.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 516
  • Egg.jas.zip
    4.1 KB · Views: 513
The symmetry creator (orange/blue icon) can handle polygonal objects (including spline objects with creators) and the symmetry modifier (green/blue icon) is for editable meshes.

Frank

Last edited:
Um, that's not exactly what I wanted to know. what is the difference between the symmetrical mode they are asking for and the symmetry modifier that is already there.

The way the symmetry modifier works you need to create a seam running down the middle of your mesh, which you may not want.

If you want to export a mesh, you need to collapse the modifier chain... but then you can't really go back and tweak.

Finally, if you want to perform various operations (e.g. weighting vertices, adjusting a skeleton) you may want to do this stuff symmetrically, but the symmetry modifier doesn't help you at all.

Here is the difference between the modifier and the symm tool/ability that I would like to have and I think pretty much what Pod wants too.

Assuming the mesh is symmetical in the first place. For example, if one starts with a cube or sphere and make it editable. Let's use the z-axis plane as the plane dividing the cube in half. What I want to do is to turn on symmetry along the z-axis, select the "right" side face of the cube and move (or extrude, or perform some function) that face along the x-axis. The symmetry function would move (extrude, etc...) the opposite face and move it along the x-axis, in the opposite direction.

Yes, it's similiar to the modifier, but this allows one to work a model that doesn't/won't have a seam running down it's middle. AND it will allow the user a way to work on both sides of a mesh at the same time at the fine-tuning part of the workflow. Right now, the user would either have to the same actions on both sides or must cut the mesh in half, do the work and mirror it.

-Six

Actually, wouldn't it be better to have a 'Remove Jointed Points' option on the symmetry instead of having a whole new thing?

Remove jointed points -- I assume you mean remove points in the plane of symmetry -- doesn't let you, for example, build out or adjust a symmetrical skeleton.

It also doesn't let you have points in the plane of symmetry where appropriate.

The way the symmetry modifier works you need to create a seam running down the middle of your mesh, which you may not want.

I never needed a seam for that.:confused: Seams are just needed for UV unwrapping.

And don't forget to apply they symmetry modifer before the subdiv modifier. It makes a big difference.

Finally, if you want to perform various operations (e.g. weighting vertices, adjusting a skeleton) you may want to do this stuff symmetrically, but the symmetry modifier doesn't help you at all.

Why do you want to assign vertex weights symmetrically. You normally just want to assign left hand vertices to left hand bones. Mirroring vertex weights also requires the assignment to different bones.

But there are of course also purposed where a mirror mode will be helpfull and it is on my todo list. But there are many other features which come first.

Bye,
Martin

But there are of course also purposed where a mirror mode will be helpfull and it is on my todo list. But there are many other features which come first.

A mirror mode would be great. Thanks!
I like to suggest that the user be able turn on/off the mirror mode on any combination of the x, y, and z axis.

-Six

Back