* Stacked particle meshes:

* Stacked particle meshes:

* In C3D.V6 a particle mesh with two levels could be displayed in the view port for editing. The second level was ignored on rendering, i.e. the “lower” level had to be resolved into a polygonal mesh for images or animations. No problem as you could work on both levels in a single model.
* Since C3D [BV7, the second level is not any more visible[/B] in the view port for fine-tuning and tweaking when editing the topology.
* Whilst this may be a consistent approach (what you see in the editor is what you get in the renderer) it does complicate the work flow. You need to edit the individual sub-nodes in a second (third, …) .jas model and never see “the full picture” in a single view port.

* A question to the Good Doctor:
* Is there a chance to reactivate this “old” method of seeing 2 levels of particle meshes in the editor?

* Reason for the suggestion:
* I am working on a set of space craft used as backgrounds in a foreign project. For ease of construction (and for current budgetary reasons), there are “level 1” and “level 2” particle meshes. In the image shown, there is a top level PMesh (4x4x4 cubes + holes) and a lower level PMesh where I populate the sub-cubes with frames and boxes of various types.
* Getting a balance between adjacent boxes is difficult because I can`t see what I am doing unless I dissolve the Meshes and hide the originals to check the topology over two levels.
* Of course, there may be a good reason why Martin has removed this option to see the lower level PMesh in the editor pertaining to new V7 functions. FWIW, having worked with 2-level particle meshes on projects some two years ago, I had no problems then.
* This may belong on the V7 ßeta test page, but I thought it gets more feed-back here.

Servus from Vienna

Attachments

• Borg 01.jpg
    Borg 01.jpg
    463.5 KB · Views: 210
  • BoxSet.jpg
    BoxSet.jpg
    475.8 KB · Views: 203

Amazing work, and what you say makes a lot of sense.
It's to bad a multi level Particle Mesh doesn't just work.

Although I tried testing this, I had some trouble because I haven't worked
with the Particle Mesh a whole lot and this is some top level stuff. :icon_thumbup:

What is that a Borg party ship?
I'd really like to see how it renders.

* Hi ZooHead,
* The .jas is, of course, currently much loo large (640 MB when resolved, even if lots of details are still missing) for an upload.
* I have checked the option to split prior versions (PMs not expanded) into bite sized sub-models - well, maybe a little bit more than a byte :rolleyes: - but it seems tricky to chop up a particle mesh without stuffing up the results when re-joining the fragments.
* I see if I get a bright idea in the next couple of days. There must be a clever trick to do just that and the hierarchical particle mesh concept may give some useful ideas to a few visitors (including newbees) to the C3D forum.

Back