One Image Mapped to Multiple sides

One Image Mapped to Multiple sides

Hello,

Need a little help again.

I am working on art for a Monument company.

They have a stone they are going to laser etch with an American Flag on it.
They want the flag to look like it is draped over the stone on 3 sides.
The front, Left and Back

The stone size is 22 x 30 and 6 inches Thick

How do I go about take one image and projecting it on the 3 faces ?
I want to be able to move it around to get the best effect.

Any help would be appreciated

Lee

Hi Lee,

Do you have a sketch?

A quick guess of one way to do this is to UV map an image onto your monument. Then you could subdivide the monument to get a lot of geometry and use a displacement map. Of course, there are multiple ways this could be done. It really depends on what exactly the effect you want.

There is a post somewhere on the forums from a few years ago about someone having a coin made that used a similar method. I'll see if I can find it.

Last edited:
Enclosed is a sketch.

I don't want to displace any geometry just need a way to show image on 3 faces as one.

My monument is simpler just a square top.

Thanks
Lee

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-10 at 3.09.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-10 at 3.09.00 PM.png
    203.1 KB · Views: 230
Maybe this will help open this file to understand uv mapping a cube then you can apply your image on your own cube.

Attachments

• UVmap a cube.zip
    5 KB · Views: 196
  • Fullscreen_11_10__3_30_PM.jpg
    Fullscreen_11_10__3_30_PM.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 226
uncle is right. This will all be pure UV mapping. It's slightly tricky with the beveled edges (which also have a few ways you can achieve this).

- So you'd model your object the way you want it first.

-The mesh must be collapsed first before you can UV edit it. The default parametric mapping won't work for what you need.

- Select the edges that you need (want) to create your seams (as uncle showed).

- Go to the UV editing layout. Then right click and call either "Unwrap UV with LSCM" (or ABF). I usually try both to see which gives a better unwrap. I still don't fully understand the difference. I couldn't tell much of a difference with my quick test mesh.

- You will most like have to rotate and scale the UV coordinates around in the box. This white area represents the texture map area.

- Right click to save the UV to pdf.

- You will need to open the pdf in an image editor so you can put the textures where you need them to go.

- Create a material with the image you just created. Now apply that material to your object.

- Now you should be able to select that image in the material you created and click on "edit" for it. It will load your texture in the UV window.

This is the basics of UV editing. There are a lot of tutorials online for other apps, but the general idea should transfer over to C3d for the most part.
There is also a UV mapper, which can also give you the results you want. Look for a great tutorial by Frank Beckman for the UV mapper. It will explain it visually a lot better than I can in words.

I'll see if I can create a video later when I have time if this long novel doesn't do the trick.

I just picked a random American flag from the Internet. You can use any you want of course. Here's the link from the one I used if you want to see the original. http://www.euclidlibrary.org/images...rs-american-flag-wallpaper-34317.jpg?sfvrsn=0

Attachments

• Monument Flag Wrap.zip
    206.2 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Back