I keep losing my vertex weights - help!

I keep losing my vertex weights - help!

Hi all,

I'm very new to Cheetah 3D (and modelling) - in fact this is my first attempt at modelling and animating a character.

I have created my model and created a set of bones which I have bound to my mesh. All good so far. I then spent ages applying vertex weighting to all the joints. I tested each joint as I went along and all was fine.

However when I later came to reload my model I noticed that the vertex weighting had changed. I have attached an example of what I mean. When I originally weighted the ankle of my model the shaded area was red. Now when I reload my model I see that it is Orange.

Various other joints in my model also seem to have had their weighting reduced to either orange or yellow. I now find that if I do some IK the joints no longer behave as they did.

At first I thought it was my mistake so I re-applied the vertex weights and re-saved but once again when re-loading the weights seem to be adjusted.

As I am new it's quite possible it's my fault - but having been through the help files and tutorial videos I believe I am doing everything I should.

Can anyone help me please?

Attachments

• Weights.jpg
    Weights.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 354
I'm just using the standard .jas file format at present. Evenutally I would like to export to .fbx format so that I may use my model in Unity.

Hi,
that is strange. I've never seen that. In .jas import no vertex weight normalization or something like that happens.

Did you click on the bind mesh button in the skeleton tag before your started painting vertex weights?

Bye,
Martin

Yes I clicked the bind button before painting the vertex weights. As mentioned I even hooked up IK tags to test that I could manipulate my mesh and it all worked fine.

I shall try again just to make sure it wasn't something silly that I did.

Hi,
please let me know if you figure out how to reproduce the problem.

One more thing. Please consider that the vertex map painting tools auto-normalizes vertex maps by default (you can turn that off). So that every vertex has a total weight of 1.0. Maybe that's the source of the effect you've seen.

Bye,
Martin

Hi,
if anybody can send me a file and tell me how to reproduce it I will have a look into it.

Bye,
Martin

Back