How would I consolidate materials, and how would inheritance work?

How would I consolidate materials, and how would inheritance work?

Good Morning dearest Forum

I have a very very (that's double very) large model as a result of an import.

Many of the materials have been at least quadriplated so I'd like to consolidate all these to that same material for consistency.

However, I have FBX fragments with multiple materials, here's an example:

So that's part 1 of the question.

Part 2 is almost the opposite. I would like to take a component, make one version of it and use smart folders to replace the 20 instances in the model. I would like to use a different material for each of the different instances. I know that I can do this up until the point at which the original is re-saved, at which point all the material definitions reset.

... and it's good morning from me.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-29 at 09.49.11.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-29 at 09.49.11.png
    42.8 KB · Views: 215
* Multiplicated materials for a single object means that the identical material is applied to n (where n>1) shade selections in C3D.
* Click - individually - on the different material labels, either in the object browser or the properties panel and record the number of the shade selection.
* In your case, for the object “TV_008” you would need to combine the two different blue glossy materials (1 and 7) and the three different glossy white materials (2, 3 and 5) to the same shade selections 1 and 2.
* Gray on 6, red on 4 and black on 8 could remain on their shade selections unless you want to shift them sequentially to 3, (4; it is there already) and 5.
* Having done that, you can then dump unused materials in the materials panel and delete all the multiple materials bobbles.

* Just make sure that these are, indeed, identical materials. There may be subtle differences which don´t show up unless you check the parameters closely.

Indeed a useful answer!

Helmut

That is a very useful answer to a third stage!

I think it's also the start to the answer of the first stage, which viewed another way looks like this:

Regards

Andy

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-29 at 22.12.23.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-29 at 22.12.23.png
    388.9 KB · Views: 178
Back