Measurement tool?

Measurement tool?

Hi!

Is there an easy way to measure the distance between two polys/points/objects, or complete sizes/diameters/etc. of objects?

thanks,
Alex

Hi,
sorry not yet. :cry: But it is on my todo list since quite some time.

A measurement tool will come for sure. It might just take some more time.

By,
Martin

is it there yet ? Would be most handy as Cheetah is such a great tool for compiling files from diverse origins and of course differing scales is always this issue.

is it there yet ? Would be most handy as Cheetah is such a great tool for compiling files from diverse origins and of course differing scales is always this issue.

The icon that looks like an L is the tool you want.

It will let you click on three points for two
distance measurements and one angle.

Thanks very much great :) I had tried that but I was experimenting with a huge mesh produced by photogrammetry and nothing was happening - I guess I was in the wrong mode ? One of my biggest complaints with Cheetah is the lack of visual clues about active tools/modes etc... no real status feedback in other ways though it still knocks the big boys outa the park some things are just so easy to achieve in Cheetah.

With the same mesh Sketchup performance is many times slower with just basic view manipulation and file export... maybe 10 or 20 times. Makes me think that Trimble have made some pretty fundamental errors in their coding.

Thanks again

Thanks very much great :) I had tried that but I was experimenting with a huge mesh produced by photogrammetry and nothing was happening - I guess I was in the wrong mode ?

It does work in all modes, not sure what was wrong.

One of my biggest complaints with Cheetah is the lack of visual clues about active tools/modes etc... no real status feedback
Thanks again

Modal confusion is a real problem with any 3D program.

Keep an eye on the four main mode icons at the top
of the window, Point, Edge, Polygon and Object.

Also the Tool Panel will tell you which tool is selected at any time.

And on the bottom left corner is the Status Display.

PS: The Transform tool can be put in Auto Mode
so it will change Modes for you automatically.

Last edited:
Just in case: you can measure between up to 3 objects:

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• MeasureMore.jpeg
    MeasureMore.jpeg
    45.8 KB · Views: 336

The icon that looks like an L is the tool you want.

It will let you click on three points for two
distance measurements and one angle.

How do you measure an angle? I'm trying to get the sides of this box to be at a 45 degree angle but this doesn't seem right:

Attachments

• 45Degree.jpg
    45Degree.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 274
* Your screenshoot implies that you have raised the centre square minimally. As a result you cant't get a 45° angle.
* Diagonals are at 45° on a flat square but not on what is a pyramid (truncated or not).

Attachments

• SS 1.png
    SS 1.png
    90.1 KB · Views: 278
  • SS 2.png
    SS 2.png
    82.7 KB · Views: 274
That ring cut and your gif did the trick one more question how do I get it to 45 degrees exactly I can get close 45.17 but that's about as close as I can get. Thanks Zoo and Helmut.

* Well, fiddling gets me to 45.001°.
* Use the transform panel and manually tweak the Y-parameters.
* At my Biblical age (I think yours is not much different) I can´t be bothered with 1/1000 of a degree :tongue:

Attachments

• SS 1.png
    SS 1.png
    95.6 KB · Views: 246

Zoom in close to the Transform tool, place your perspective view
so that you can see the angle measurement and the the tool.

It will not work for scaling but moving is relative to the
screen so zoom in and you can make smaller moves.

That ring cut and your gif did the trick one more question how do I get it to 45 degrees exactly I can get close 45.17 but that's about as close as I can get. Thanks Zoo and Helmut.
1. Make a cube with your size on X+Z axis and the half for its height
2. make editable. Select top polygon
3. grab "Collapse"-tool set to "Middle" and click top polygon.
4. There you have your 45° on the sides.
(5. Truncate to your liking)

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
* This gives me 45.089° :frown:

I had some problems here as well but if you try again it will work as it is pure logic.

It must work, my problem was I used the transform
tool to scale the top polygons and then optimized.
But I found the optimize step didn't work as expected
and I still had multiple points on top.

I´m not sure what you guys are talking about.
I got 45° every time no matter what size:

(I found a bug in the Import/Export size calculation last month Martin introduced with the expression feature - but I´m not sure if it took over in the modelling area)

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• 45°.jpg
    45°.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 230
Back