Importing SVGs, problems

Importing SVGs, problems

I'm using Cheetah 2.6, and all of a sudden (I don't remember doing anything different) when I import a SVG file from Illustrator, the compound path that I created in Illustrator (e.g., a flat plane with holes in it) doesn't come across. And I'm also having to edit the path and reverse it a lot (which I didn't have to do before) because it's coming across all black. What SVG format should I be using? Or is there something in Cheetah that's causing this? Thanks for the help.

Hi.
The svg-loader got through some approvements since then. At this stage of Cheetah3d I used to use the ai-macro script for loading ai-files successfully.

With kindest regards
Frank

Yes, the SVG importer has gone through various improvements since 2.6.1.

If you used circular holes and and rects in your path you first have to convert them to bezerie splines in Illustrator.

There is also a "Adobe Illustrator to Cheetah3D" tutorial in the help files which shows SVG settings which work.

Bye,
Martin

Adobe Illustrator to Cheetah 3D

I'm sorry, Martin, but I couldn't find the tutorial. And it's like this is a recent thing. I've been using Cheetah for quite some time and always import Illustrator files with no problem. It's just that here lately I've been having problems.

svg problem

Hi.. have read a similar tread in the forum but no real answer there. I am having problems importing Illustrator svg into C3d.
I am using Illustrator CS3. I have been saving the illustrator paths as CS2. If they are type/text.. the creation of svg and import into C3d is fine, can extrude at will.
If it is annother object like a star.. C3d imports a SVG file but no path inside the file. It dosn't work with CS3 at all..
I'm using Cheetah3d v4.4. is there an upgrade I need to download..
I'm not sure but I think I only started having these problems when cs3 was installed
Any help re this much appreciated
s

Hi Suzanne and welcome.
Strange thingy. Don´t know what went wrong and never had a hard time with svgs at all. Can you post your drawing as a zipped file?
Cheetah3d has a nice Star spline object you may wanna know.

Cheers
Frank

Hi.. have read a similar tread in the forum but no real answer there. I am having problems importing Illustrator svg into C3d.
I am using Illustrator CS3. I have been saving the illustrator paths as CS2. If they are type/text.. the creation of svg and import into C3d is fine, can extrude at will.
If it is annother object like a star.. C3d imports a SVG file but no path inside the file. It dosn't work with CS3 at all..
I'm using Cheetah3d v4.4. is there an upgrade I need to download..
I'm not sure but I think I only started having these problems when cs3 was installed
Any help re this much appreciated
s

I use CS3 and have problems but I think it has more to do with illustrator than C3D. Generally I find that if all paths are compound (ctrl+8 ) and saved as uncompressed SVG version 1.0 files I can get them into C3D. However, if I'm having problems I also save as pdf and import that instead.

Last edited:
Problems here too...

I was just importing files from CS3 today and noticing similar behavior.

However what I am struggling with the most is that the scaling of the vectors seems to be off by about 28% when importing into Cheetah.

Please confirm this: draw a 1 inch square in Illustrator CS3 and save as either SVG or PDF and see if you end up with a 1 inch square in Cheetah. I get something that is about .72 inches.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Rick

Hi,
did you make sure the primitives like stars were converted to paths. Could you post a SVG file created with CS3 which doesn't work.

Bye,
Martin

svg tricks

Thanks frank and fused for the replys. After my post I tried a few things:
Rounded cornered box or organic 'drawn' shape-imported fine as cs2-svg.
Star, pentagon-did not import as svg!
I notice these shapes are in the supplied pull down menu of splines.. have no idea if this is causing the conflict.
BUT... the 'control 8'-make a compound path, (command-8 on OS x) definately works a treat on these shapes that do not import.. thanks fused
Frank do you still want me to upload anything.. this seems to settle it?
thanks again all.
s

You know you have a scale factor in the preferences of the svg importer?

Cheers
Frank

Thanks Frank,

That was it! I cannot tell you how grateful I am for that tip. I have looked at those prefs before but I had no clue that they had other options.

Now one inch = one inch on import.

Thanks again,

Rick

Back