Newbie help on moving objects

Newbie help on moving objects

Hi All,

I've just downloaded the trial version of this software which seems excellent.

I have an incredibly daft problem though. I cant seem to position any object using the mouse.

I can position it by typing in the co-ords into the property box, but surely there is a way to move an object by selecting it then dragging it with a mouse?

Any help appreciated.

Best regards,

Keith

You need to use the Transform Tool (either Tools->Transform, or click the icon on the toolbar 3rd from the left). Now when you select your object you should see a coloured 3D 'transform gizmo' which you can drag or spin to move, scale or rotate your object.

See the help file for more info...

Attachments

• Picture 43.jpg
    Picture 43.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 288
I must be nearly there

Thanks both.

Yes, I'm in object mode, and yes I've been trying to use the transform tool.

I can get the object to resize etc just fine, and I can drag the blocks at the end of the orthogonal normal pointers.

However, no amount of trying will move the object. Should I be clicking on the grey block at the center?

I've tried to include an image below

screenshot_01.jpg

screenshot

Figured out how to upload the screenshot, here it is.

I'm trying to move the purple ball.

Best regards,

Keith

Hi,
make sure the arrows at the transform widget are highlighted by clicking on one of them. In your screenshot the "scaling" is activated, not the "moving".
Let´s see if this will work.

With kindest regards
Frank

Try customizing your toolbar...

I had some difficulty moving objects as well. Sometimes I didn't get the correct part of the widget selected. One thing that helped me was to isolate the different transform functions in my toolbar. You can customize your toolbar and add these tools, move, rotate and scale so that any time you want to move an object, just select the move tool and so forth.

It helped me.
Tim:smile:

Aha!

Frank,

Many thanks for your patience and speedy response.

The problem all along has been that I was clicking on the blocks and not the arrows.

Intuitively though I would have thought that clicking the objects' center grey block would have the same effect. No matter.

I'm off and running now.

Best regards,

Keith

Transform tool question

As soon as I group two objects. The Transform tool changes position to the default location where all new objects start.

Can you reposition the transform tool?

And when I create the group, Cheetah places a small object in the center of the workspace.

Last edited:
As soon as I group two objects. The Transform tool changes position to the default location where all new objects start.
That´s because the group object will be generated at x,y,z=0
Can you reposition the transform tool?
And when I create the group, Cheetah places a small object in the center of the workspace.
Generate a folder from main menu "Scene" and move it where you like to have the origin point of your group. Then drag your objects into the folder in the Object browser.

Another method could be to drag one object onto the other so it will be parented to the first object/location/pivot point.

With kindest regards
Frank

Thank you Frank!

I will try the parenting technique.

I think I am getting the hang of things. Though I'm having troubles aligning and distributing objects with Cheetah. I fear my noobness is making things difficult for me.

Back