More Architectural Rendering

More Architectural Rendering

A rip-off of Calatrava's 'Turning Torso'. Made possible by Martin's great FBX importer and HDRI algorithm. Modelled in SketchUp 5.0.

Will also post some dumb q's about rendering in another thread.

Attachments

• turningtorso-cheetah-hdri-2_163.jpg
    turningtorso-cheetah-hdri-2_163.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 3,583
That's one impressive image!! Very nice!!

Regards,

Peter

ps. what did you use for glass settings? it looks nice!!

Hi,
wow that is a fantastic model. :shock:

Do you mean with "rip-off of Calatrava's 'Turning Torso' " that that building actually exists?

By,
Martin

Thanks, everyone --

Your responses are very encouraging. Here's another:

You know, I spent most of the weekend trying to get Artlantis-R to do what I wanted it to do -- but it's broken under 10.4.3.

I had results 15 minutes after firing up Cheetah this morning.

One appeal -- how can I best reduce the faceting on the tubular elements? I've set mesh smoothing angle to 89.9 -- is it a radiosity thing? More samples?

Attachments

• turningtorso-cheetah-hdri-9vdram_184.jpg
    turningtorso-cheetah-hdri-9vdram_184.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 2,510
peer said:
Regards,

Peter

ps. what did you use for glass settings? it looks nice!!

Peter -- only just saw your question --

glass was just set to pale green, Transparency 0.63, Reflection, 0.75. The rest of the look came from the relection of the HDRI image.

HTH,

Tim

Wow!

:shock: Very impressive images, what texture did you use for the walls? They look so real, and also the background, do you have some more details?

Thanks

Guido --

No materials were used!!! Only the colours exported from SketchUp -- white for the structure and pale green for the glass. The shading is entirely the result of Martin's HDRI & Radiosity algorithms.

The background is just a spare Dosch HDRI image that came free with some program -- can't remember which one. The HDRI is set to 'Cross'.

HTH,

Well, I just left the SketchUp forum were I congratulated you there Tim. Really, really nice job. Nice all they way around. You need to post this at the PushPullBar Cheetah3D forum too.

Hi Tim,
wow. Once again an amazing rendering.

TimD said:
One appeal -- how can I best reduce the faceting on the tubular elements? I've set mesh smoothing angle to 89.9 -- is it a radiosity thing? More samples?

I'm not sure what actually causes the faceting. Have you tried to reduce the radiosity error setting? Can you see these facets in the OpenGL preview too? Or if you rendere the scene without radiosity.

By,
Martin

That sure looks like a gallery image to me Martin.

I think the faceting is a SketchUp thing. To keep the polycount down, I'm sure Tim kept his circles at 12 segments or so. This sometimes doesn't translate so well into Cheetah, so you either have to draw your models with more segments in SketchUp or you have to apply the subdivisions to smooth it out and that's hard to control.

Still, a very nice job. That's tough model in SketchUp.

can't the facetting be reduced by subdividing within C3D the pieces that exhibit it... that is how I smooth out any curved object... probably the wrong way to do it but it usually works fine...

cheers
Trevor

TrevorM-L said:
can't the facetting be reduced by subdividing within C3D the pieces that exhibit it... that is how I smooth out any curved object... probably the wrong way to do it but it usually works fine...

cheers
Trevor

Yea, but sometimes it distorts the geometry in a bad way. The pointy ends usually suffer.

Jake said:
That sure looks like a gallery image to me Martin.

Yes it does. It would be a honour for me to add it to my online gallery. Would you allow me to post it Tim? Could I get a 640x480 .tiff image rendered with high radiosity any antialiasing settings? That would be great.

By,
Martin

P.S. Jeff can I also add you last rendering posting of the solar oven?

Martin --

No problem -- I'd be really chuffed! (Pleased in a self-satisfied sort of way).

I'm away from my computer at the moment (back in Wales to ride at the velodrome :D), but I'll get you an image at the beginning of next week.

Cheers,

Tim

Hi,
oh you make me curious. Do you take place at cycling competitions at the velodrome. Maybe a "Six day" race? Since I'm a very big cycling fan.

By,
Martin

P.S. Jan Ullrich will win the next Tour de France for sure. Like the last five. :wink:

Martin --

Oh, yes! We have the newest indoor velodrome in Europe, here in crappy Newport. 250m, 42-degree banking, Siberian pine -- it's wonderful. Never thought I would be a 'trackie' (radbahnrennradfahrer ;0), but I've ridden it nearly every week for two years. 'Sixes' are not my thing (I'm not THAT good), but scratch races, points & pursuit are my favourites. I'm off this afternoon for a three-hour race meting. Gonna be fun.

Interstingly, I just moved to London, and the OLDEST velodrome in Europe (Herne Hill) is three minutes ride from our flat.

Jan -- yes, I hope so. My favourite rider after Indurain & Fignon. That boy has got guts. Know what you mean about him 'winning the last five'.

Back