Open paths from Illustrator?

Open paths from Illustrator?

Let's say someone (no, not me.... but let's say "a friend of mine" :wink:) accidentally imports an SVG path from illustrator that is not fully closed.

I know (I mean "my friend" knows) how to repair this in Illustrator, then re-import the image, but can I (uhm... "he") repair this in Cheetah? If so, how?

The problem is that an open path won't extrude with a closed front and back (won't appear solid). I have (I mean "he has") manually closed the polyline in Cheetah, but this doesn't seem to help.

Any advice for me (I mean, "my friend"? :? :wink:

Attachments

• picture_1_730.png
    picture_1_730.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 660
OK, now I'm REALLY confused...

In the exact same file as above (where I closed the spline in Cheetah but it wouldn't create a closed extrusion) I then simply selected the polyline then went to PROPERTIES>TYPE and changed BEZIERSPLINE to BEZIERCURVE. Magically, the extrusion closed! It maintained closure when I selected LINES and NURBS (of course, deforming appropriately).

Now here's the weird part....

I selected BEZIERSPLINE type. And the form maintained solidity. Odd. Is this normal?

Also, Martin, did I incorrectly surmise that Cheetah did not support NURBS? I see this is an option under PROPERTIES>Type and is included in the Indes.

Any better explanation of NURBS features and/or support?

Attachments

• picture_2_157.png
    picture_2_157.png
    57.6 KB · Views: 678
Hi,
what file format did you use to import the spline? I made the best experiences with .svg which Illustrator can export. But you should always care about that the paths are actually closed.

If a spline shouldn't be closed you can do that with the Transform tool. Just enable snapping and point snapping. You can now easily snap the begining and the end of the spline together.

Last but not least you found a bug. Cheetah3D 2.5 has a problem to detect that the path has been closed. So it doesn't fill the extruded path with an cover. But I've already fixed that bug. It will work in the next update.

By,
Martin

P.S. OS 10.4 rocks. I found a API which allowed my to write a PDF file loader is just 2 hours. I'm still shocked why I didn't found that before. That will allow to exchange vector graphis which really every OS X drawing app. :D :D

Back