ice texture

ice texture

hi all,

i want to create a big ground so it looks like it's frozen (some kind of frozen lake).

I make a plane herefore, but what kind of texture do i need to make it white with soft gradiations, soms slight very very soft snowstructure... (frozen outside ice has some structure...)? So it's not like ice in my glass, but ice outside in winter...

Anyone?

thx,

Yorky

Ice is pretty hard to do well in any 3d package (well, some of the terrain generators like Vue have nice presets), but in C3D you're going to run into its lack of support for subsurface scattering.

The usual way to deal with translucent materials in C3D (for now) is to add a bit of emission, but you need to tailor it to the lighting in the scene.

Here's a quick attempt I tossed together while watching the Olympics :)

Attachments

• ice_station_cheetah.jpg
    ice_station_cheetah.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 355
  • ice_station_cheetah.zip
    66.8 KB · Views: 284
Ice is pretty hard to do well in any 3d package (well, some of the terrain generators like Vue have nice presets), but in C3D you're going to run into its lack of support for subsurface scattering.

The usual way to deal with translucent materials in C3D (for now) is to add a bit of emission, but you need to tailor it to the lighting in the scene.

Here's a quick attempt I tossed together while watching the Olympics :)

Hey there,
many thx!

I'll post a link where you find some downloads (in dutch). At the bottom you'll find two pictures (pdf) with a frozen lake. I guess it's more easy to paint it in photoshop than...?

link: http://soi2007.vtm.be/downloads.html

What do you mean with 'tailor' it? ...

regards, me to: olympics online...!

Yorky

Last edited:
By "tailor" I mean you'll need to adjust the material's emission based on the way a particular scene is lit, and possibly on the camera angle since emission is a crude way of faking translucency.

A frozen lake top seems fairly straightforward. Simply take the texture file I've included, remove most of its saturation, and proceed from there.

Back