C3D Buddy Returns

C3D Buddy Returns

This is a complete rewrite of C3D Buddy which should be compatible with Mac OS X 10.7 or later. It was written on 10.9.1.

One caveat — the old C3D Buddy was a 3MB download; this new one is (cough) 30MB or so (it's build on top of node-webkit — so Chrome + node.js).

It's available for download here:

http://loewald.com/c3dbook/80_Misc Resources/C3D Buddy/

The github repository for the project is here:

https://github.com/tonioloewald/c3d-render-buddy

It's written entirely in HTML5/Javascript — you can easily modify it to your heart's content with just a text editor. (You may want to chmod +x the build file, and you'll need to download a copy of node-webkit to launch it.)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-01-22 00.04.59.png
    Screenshot 2014-01-22 00.04.59.png
    291.3 KB · Views: 397
I just discovered C3D doesn't always produce thumbnail icons (or maybe it no longer does), so I made appropriate changes. I've also made it easier to modify yourself. (More notes on the website.)

Last edited:
mykyl66 recompiled the old Render Buddy using the latest version of Xojo, so it seems to work properly again. I've posted it in the same place as the new version (so you can try both). I quickly verified that the new version is stupendously faster — but it's not as good for cleaning out your stuff yet.

Not sure which I like the best. Thanks to both of you guys, Thanks Pod for resurrecting the app. One thing I was hoping that it could do was rearrange the order of the images [Drag to a different order] that was what I needed the most.
Thanks again for the time you have spent. Both of you.

The images in the old app can be sorted but not re-ordered (since the order is based on the directory structure). The new app is weirder than that because it loads the directory asynchronously and just shows what it loads as it gets loaded. I could probably allow sorting, but it's not clear how re-ordering would/should work.

Not looked at the code, but I would hope, that once you have handles to the files, ordering can maintained (for the duration of the session) independently of the directory structure.

Not looked at the code, but I would hope, that once you have handles to the files, ordering can maintained (for the duration of the session) independently of the directory structure.

File handles? We have paths :)

i wrote this thing (a) in a hurry and (b) to run as quickly as possible (except that I got lazy at the end and used some synchronous calls because it was easier).

The current implementation has two flaws: first I don't keep track of the file descriptors (which would be easy enough to do) and more importantly I don't watch the render history folder and respond to changes (Cheetah 3D doesn't either — it assumes that the folder's content will only be changed in ways it knows about — you can verify this by deleting a folder from render history while C3D's render history is open — it won't notice the change, nor will it "find" the deleted folder in the trash. Indeed you can close the Render Manager and open it again and it will still show the deleted item.) Obviously it would be nice to do both.

But reordering the files in the list doesn't really make any sense unless it does something (e.g. renames) the underlying directories. How would the ordering be persisted?

Sorting the items makes sense, but given the directories are simply named by date, it's not clear what you'd sort on besides date. (I suppose we could get clever and sort by the scene file name if it's available.)

Last edited:
Ah, Java programmer, and I still think of the File object as a handle on the file.

As to the rest, I guess you could do a copy of the reordered images with a new sequential name so they could be used in an animation, I think thats what Uncle was suggesting. Though you would probably have to save/copy to a different directory *shrugs*

Its on my list to check out, as I haven't looked at Node yet, so will be interesting to see something that isn't client server, transaction processing orientated.

Ah, Java programmer, and I still think of the File object as a handle on the file.

As to the rest, I guess you could do a copy of the reordered images with a new sequential name so they could be used in an animation, I think thats what Uncle was suggesting. Though you would probably have to save/copy to a different directory *shrugs*

Its on my list to check out, as I haven't looked at Node yet, so will be interesting to see something that isn't client server, transaction processing orientated.

No what I wanted was just to be able to drag the render into a new position in the render manager drag render image 3 up to position 1 etc.

No what I wanted was just to be able to drag the render into a new position in the render manager drag render image 3 up to position 1 etc.

That's really not doable without changing the render dates (either the filename or plist or both) and then relaunching C3D. Probably better to ask Martin for that feature :)

podperson, I have no idea if you are interested but you can get a full desktop license for xojo through macheist including a bunch of other apps like toonboom studio for $19.99

http://macheist.com/#overview

For that price it might be worth getting it.

Yeah, I picked one up, earlier thanks to that deal.

That said, the node-webkit version kicks the realbasic version's butt.

Back