Bent out of shape

Bent out of shape

I'm trying to bend a torus, but can't seem to get my head around how to do a simple bend.

I've made the torus with plenty of geometry, added a bend modifier and tried a bunch of different ways to bend it. I get the torus all funking looking when I try bending.

What am I missing?

Attachments

• Voila_Capture22.jpg
    Voila_Capture22.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 508
Alternative

A different option would be to use a circle on a circular sweep. Moving two opposite points of the toroidal axis and fiddling with the nodal tangents may give you superior control over the resulting shape.
Cheers from Vienna

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-11-06 at 18.56.50.png
    Screen shot 2012-11-06 at 18.56.50.png
    223.3 KB · Views: 463
Last edited:
Mmmmm....Doughnuts

Thanks for the two approaches. They both look terrific.

As it was something just for visual candy, I just ended up using a magnet to bend the exposed areas.

Thanks again, guys. I learn something new every time I look at the forum.

If the bend-modifier is well placed you should be able to reach your goal:

Cheers
Frank

PS: old thread - I know. ;)

Attachments

• BentTorus.gif
    BentTorus.gif
    423.4 KB · Views: 333
Old post or not, I can never get my bend modifier to bend an object in the middle. It ends up leaning the item over instead. Any real tutorials on the bend modifier out there?

Old post or not, I can never get my bend modifier to bend an object in the middle. It ends up leaning the item over instead. Any real tutorials on the bend modifier out there?
Hi and Welcome!
That´s a matter of where you place the modifier along the "unconstraint" type for example.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• BentUnconstraint.jpeg
    BentUnconstraint.jpeg
    53.6 KB · Views: 269
Back