Some hints on Backlit scenes

Some hints on Backlit scenes

Simply what the title says. Just a few quick settings to get back some details in front of the camera when the sunlight strikes from ahead.
Any questions; let me know.
Link to the Light&shadow Table I once posted.
Cheers
Frank

HintsOnBacklitScenes.gif

Scenewith arealight.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Frank. I also appreciate this. All the help you give to others
has been a help to me also.

My Best
Jeanny

Ambient Occlusion ray length

This is a great help in comparing similar settings, but I don't get the AO max ray lengths of 1, 0.2, 0.1. My default setting is 10000. What am I missing here?

Last edited:
Request for elusive forum URL

Frank, could you please post the URL for the "Light and Shadow Table" jpeg you posted years ago? Newer users would find the 22 examples a helpful adjunct to this gif, but I was unable to find it via Search. Adding a reply to it will bring it back to the current Forum threads where it can be reviewed.

Thanks again.

Somewhat off-topic

C3D's ambient occlusion seems to behave very oddly to me. I assumed ambient occlusion is supposed to darken nooks and crannies, but while it does this, C3D's ambient occlusion seems to just flood scenes with light for no apparent reason.

When I first started using C3D I didn't find ambient occlusion terribly useful, and just got in the habit of always using radiosity (which, if anything, brightens nooks and crannies, but otherwise does a nice job). But, having now used ambient occlusion in other programs, it seems to me that C3D's ambient occlusion is a bug. In particular, once you use any significant amount of ambient occlusion, shadows are pretty much blown away, which is definitely not what it ought to be doing.

Back