Extrude hexagon

I guess we´re talking of different things. The old Boolean were as watertight as the new nGon-Boolean Library - but the newer looks nicer of course (and is super robust as long you´re not trying to use bent quads extensively - haven´t had a single crash over the last year with it)
nGons are a no go for subdivision but are no problem for 3d-printer because the meshes will be triangulated during export to STL (and the Size will be reset to 1:1:1 - that´s the reason why I didn´t burn the transformation.

Cheers
Frank

Is there a reason you made it so tiny?

It's supposed to be 8cm long but you must not have
followed the measurements if the boxes are 1cm.

I took 1 unit as 1m - but i was misreading 8cm as radius. But it´s parametric so no big deal for a correction. :mrgreen:

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• TabletHold4U.jas.zip
    10.6 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:

OK I understand, it's a brand new boolean day!

It's much easier than trying to compensate for
the amount that the subdivision Modifier trims off.

Subdiv is like sandblasting the model, so measurements are no longer correct.

Why can't the Catmull-Clark smooth from point
to point, that way the size doesn't change?

That way it would be more like a heavy application
of automotive body filler than sandblasting.

I downloaded the beta so I could play with Frank's output. Now I'm not sure if "burning" refers to an action that might correct the problem, but the subtraction in the boolean appears to be ignored in the .stl file. In other words, the objects in the boolean (except for the first one) appear as solids in the .stl, as if they weren't children of a boolean.

However, I'm still planning to try with Frank's methods more, and am eagerly awaiting ZooHead's announced basic one.

I downloaded the beta so I could play with Frank's output. Now I'm not sure if "burning" refers to an action that might correct the problem, but the subtraction in the boolean appears to be ignored in the .stl file. In other words, the objects in the boolean (except for the first one) appear as solids in the .stl, as if they weren't children of a boolean.

However, I'm still planning to try with Frank's methods more, and am eagerly awaiting ZooHead's announced basic one.

Try "collapsing" first- double click on the base object.

Attachments

• bracket booleans.jpg
    bracket booleans.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 298
  • bracket stl.jpg
    bracket stl.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
That fixed it. It printed fine, after I blew it up about 800X.

That's great! Every day I find more to love about Cheetah.

I'll keep working on the Subdiv friendly method,
still a lot of good stuff to learn there.

Can we see a picture?

I'll keep working on the Subdiv friendly method,...

Not holding you back from it - but a beveled version is easy to achieve by inner-extruding the surface polygon to bare the edge loops for the bevel-tool.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• TablettHold.gif
    TablettHold.gif
    148.1 KB · Views: 237
At this scale, I suspect that few hobbyist-level 3D printers will demonstrate much of a difference for output with bevels as opposed to none unless the bevels are at least somewhat exaggerated. Pictures are forthcoming.

Here are photos, including a take-apart of the entire contraption. Notice how the printer did its own version of a bevel in image 1.
It was printed at default settings with tweaks for higher density (for strength). Extra parts at lower center of image 2 are included to illustrate how the tablet stand support fitting was designed to accommodate an old standard mic stand adapter.

1phot.jpg

2phot.jpg

tablet_mount_in_use.jpg

Last edited:

Very nice, we don't see enough 3D printer output here. :icon_thumbup:
Well, thanks, and in that case, I've added to the post a couple of pictures of the mount actually holding a tablet on a mic stand (you'll have to take my word that it's a tripod mic stand).

Very cool stuff!

I'm going to be helping my wife with some 3D printing soon. She's an elementary school art teacher. The county she works in got 3D printers for all the art teachers. So she's going to have the students make a stamp of the school logo (paw print). It'll be my first foray into 3D printing. Should be interesting.

Try "collapsing" first- double click on the base object.
I discovered that when I used the new booleans in C3D 7 on an imported .stl then tried collapsing by using the disclosure triangle of the base object rather than double-clicking, the boolean subtraction wasn't honored by my 3D printer app. Is it expected behavior for using the disclosure triangle for collapsing to have a different effect from using a double-click or is that an issue to report for the beta?

... for using the disclosure triangle for collapsing to have a different effect from using a double-click or is that an issue to report for the beta?
No - The triangle is just for show/hide grouped content. To make the hierarchy editable double-click the first object ("base"-object ad ZooHead mentioned or go Objects->Make editable or hit alt+cmd+C - done.

Cheers
Frank

Here are the first three parts of the step by step.

Open them with Preview to view page by page.

Attachments

• bracket-build01.gif
    bracket-build01.gif
    441.7 KB · Views: 255
  • bracket-build02.gif
    bracket-build02.gif
    477.4 KB · Views: 265
  • bracket-build03.gif
    bracket-build03.gif
    462 KB · Views: 258
Back