3D Printing query

3D Printing query

I am considering to poke my nose into 3D printing options. Random research in the internet has provided me with the basics.
As can be expected from the internet, 80% of the links / UTube videos are trivial / diletante rubbish and watching questionable time lapse films is a pain in the eyes :tongue:
So: Can somebody suggest a professional (and I don´t mind paying a reasonable subscription fee, if worthwhile) introductory course which is available online? Of course, recommendations on printed resources are welcome.
I am still in the brainstorming phase and don´t - as yet - know where (if anywhere) I want to go, so this is all a bit fuzzy.

Additional question for the “good Doctor”: Is there a chance to generate an additional forum category for 3D-Printing where all relevant threads could be accessible? I could imagine that C3D questions pertaining to 3D Printing modelling may become more frequent in the near future.
Thank you for any feedback...

So: Can somebody suggest a professional (and I don´t mind paying a reasonable subscription fee, if worthwhile) introductory course which is available online? Of course, recommendations on printed resources are welcome.
Helmut,
Have a deep look at this site
I believe you will find it very useful
It's a very active site and if you subscribe to the RSS feed (free) you will see what I mean

So far, I've learned that one's approach to 3d printing depends a lot on the 3d printing technology you're using. If you're using sintering or something similar, then as long as your topology is good it pretty much works as expected. For "glue gun" printers it's tricky to print objects that aren't self-supporting (the software will try to automatically create supports — your mileage may very) and any thin protrusions may sag under their own weight (while the material is soft). I haven't experimented with subtractive printers (e.g. computer-controlled routers) but the issues there seem pretty obvious.

Back