OT: Men!! It Can Be Done!!!

OT: Men!! It Can Be Done!!!

...Tim Danaher did it last night...

(upgraded his Mac Pro to eight-core processors, that is :tongue: )

I used the instructions

Here and Here

For the swap,

And the instructions Here for the BSEL modification, which meaans that with a bit of insulating tape, you can turn 1.86 GHz / 1066 MHz FSB Xeons into 2.33 GHz / 1333 MHz FSB Xeons.

A pair of 5320s (1.86 GHz) will cost you around £320, as opposed to £600 for 'real' 2.33 GHz models.

Notes: to get the heatsink allen bolts undone I used a Torx T-15 driver with a 20cm-long shaft, like this one here. The 3mm, long-shaft Allen-keys in the video are practically impossible to come by.

Secondly, we had real trouble getting the front fan housing out. It was nowhere near as easy as in the video. We ended up removing the heatsinks before the fan housinng. It was a bit tricky, but we managed it. We could then get a better grip on the fan housing. In my case the guide slot that holds it in place was a little stiff, that's all. It went back in with no problems.

And here's the evidence:

Attachments

• 8-Core!.jpg
    8-Core!.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 327
Heh ... my Mac Pro is owned by my employer, so I'm not going to spend my own money upgrading it, but good to know it really works. (When will Apple release a MacBook Pro with a quad core cpu? That's what I want to know.)

When I render I get small square rendering buckets. You seem to get rather large horizontal slices. Is this a configuration issue?

Actually -- I was using 4.1 -- it's more obvious that there are 8 procs going and....

IT HASN'T WORKED!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: YES IT HAS -- SEE LAST POST!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I've got eight cores, but they're running at 1.86 / 1066 -- can't figure out what's gone wrong...will have to do some scouting around to see....

TITS!

Last edited:
if you look at the http://www.o0o.it/pro link, he uses Hardware Monitor, which reports nominal and actual frequencies, He he gets 1.86 / 2.33, I get 1.86/1.86...also he gets PowerFractal results around 64,000 MFlops, I get 56,000....:frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:

Damn! Gotta change my sig again...

Crisis Over!!!!

It was a reporting problem...under Windows, it says 1333 / 2.3 GHz!!! (the cores are idling in the grab -- they do jump to 2.3 when stressed).

(Although the PowerFractal scores are a bit odd...)

Now, how much will I get for my old 2.0's on eBay...?

Attachments

• CPU-Z Capture.jpg
    CPU-Z Capture.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 220
Back