baking question

baking question

So, I've got a 3ds model that I did not make myself. Imported it into Cheetah with some tweaks. Renders fine. But I want to optimize it.

One of the polygon objects has about 14 colors and 3 textures. The textures are rectangles and their uv coordinates are not in [0,1]. If I bake all this together to UV 1 then everything freaks out and the textures/colors get messed up. Yet, if I take out these texture rectangles then it bakes just perfect.

Does baking only work with square textures?

Thanks in advance.

I think the model was exported from Maya to 3ds. Not sure what it did to the uv coordinates but many of them appear to overlap.

After some tweaking, I got it to render in the editor properly. Then I saved it to a jas file. The main body of the craft has 15 materials. 4 of them are rectangular texture maps.

I add the bake texture icon. I select UV 1. Not using fbx. Only want the burn image. Then the textures sort of freak out like the second image.

Purchased the model here from Turbosquid. It has a high rating, supposedly.

I'd just like to minimize my materials and texture drawing in opengl. That is, gameify the model.

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/229731

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 274
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 269
I get all the formats with the purchase. Including the 3ds. But I think the 3ds file was converted from another format. Probably from Maya if I recall. So, in a way, I'm dependent on how well their export/import efforts worked when they made the product.

Cheetah does a good import of 3ds files. Easy to get the materials in. If it did not have 3ds, then I would have chosen differently.

Considering the hundreds of man hours and experience it takes to make some models, its worth the cost in some cases.

Last edited:
I think that sometimes when you buy a model in n different formats, you're basically buying the model in format x with all the others being exports that they didn't bother checking :-/

3ds is a rather old format, and it may not support multi-texturing (i.e. more than one texture assigned to a single mesh) ... or it might not support it well enough -- which would give you overlapping uv coords.

.obj may be your friend since it's very simple and it's Alias|Wavefront's old format -- i.e. it supports stuff that Alias did in 1995 or whatever, which is a heck of a lot more than 3D Studio (before it was "Max") ever did.

Back