6.x wish list

6.x wish list

Now that 6 is out…

• Better OpenGL preview (it is so out of whack with the material system now that it's getting ridiculous — especially what competing products are offering).
  • Wireframe view options without shading and/or lighting (indeed, I'd prefer the default wireframe not to be colored)
  • SSS Shader
  • Motion Blur
  • Volumetric Shaders
  • God Rays
  • Area Spot Light (should work like area point light)
  • Area Distant Light (should have an angle and default to the appropriate setting for the Sun)
  • Particle spin (independent of Physics)
  • Booleans that don't mangle meshes
  • Seamless instancing — allow instances to be created effortlessly and edited in situ
  • Keying remains fiddly and error-prone — allow a "key root" to be "pinned" so I don't need to go through a "good luck" ritual before clicking the record button.
  • Improved Object Browser
  • Improve spline editing

Now that 6 is out…
  • Better OpenGL preview (it is so out of whack with the material system now that it's getting ridiculous — especially what competing products are offering).
  • Wireframe view options without shading and/or lighting (indeed, I'd prefer the default wireframe not to be colored)
  • SSS Shader
  • Motion Blur
  • Volumetric Shaders
  • God Rays
  • Area Spot Light (should work like area point light)
  • Area Distant Light (should have an angle and default to the appropriate setting for the Sun)
  • Particle spin (independent of Physics)
  • Booleans that don't mangle meshes
  • Seamless instancing — allow instances to be created effortlessly and edited in situ
  • Keying remains fiddly and error-prone — allow a "key root" to be "pinned" so I don't need to go through a "good luck" ritual before clicking the record button.
  • Improved Object Browser
  • Improve spline editing

I would also like to see many of these things appear in the (near) future...

I also have some suggestions (in order of my preference) ...
I know Martin is already working hard on most of them and I'm gratefull for what he has given us already...
  • volumetrics
  • sss
  • god rays
  • audio timeline
  • better magnet tool/proportional editing (soft selection)
  • deformation mesh
  • motion blur
  • particle spin
  • create polygon tool snapping on creation (retopology)
  • better spline tools
  • explode/shatter
  • better instancing
features of some existing scripts:
  • rounded box
  • single point polygonobj
  • new polygonobj icon added -> create polygon tool (snapping) directly enabeled
  • F-linker tag
  • multicut tool (edge n-splitter)
  • create spline icon added
  • loft creator
  • spline wrap modifier
  • taper sweep modifier
  • arrow spline
  • BVH importer

Last edited:
I agree with most of these. Especially those that pertain to rendering (ie. SSS, volumetrics, etc.). I'd also very much agree with the "better magnet tool/proportional editing (soft selection)" request. I'd like to see it as part of the transform tool and as an effect.

I am currently making a basic cartoony house in Cheetah to see where the limitations are and where improvements could be made. So modeling, uvmapping and texture painting will all be done in Cheetah.

With regard to Uv Mapping.
I would like to select a group of polygons and then have a tool that converts/selects all border edges. Currently when you convert to edges it selects every single edge within the selected polygon area. I only need the border ones. This way it would greatly speed up the creation of seams for uv mapping.

Secondly I would like the select loop and select ring tools available in the uv mapping area (I know I can use them within the 3d window but while uv mapping I want to stick to the map itself.)

To straighten uv maps I would like the ability to select a row of edges and straighten them. I currently use the scale tool but would like it to stop scaling when all of the edges are aligned. Basically the same as it works in the 3d window.

How about a custom tool bar that can have any tools I want on it. Its fine having shortcuts and the like but sometimes I want to just have a few tools that I will need access to immediately available all the time.

I will add to this list as I remember and come across workflow issues. Basically anything that makes me wish I was in such and such another app I will post info on. The above uv mapping issues were one such example. It can be done in Cheetah but with a few fairly minor tweaks it could be great in Cheetah.

Oh of course the above mentioned things would be a huge bonus as well but I am concentrating on what tools are currently there and how could the be improved.

Mike

Last edited:
Polygon selections

Just a few suggestions regarding saving polygon selections:

-Improve the interface so it's more clear what is being saved, and so you don't accidentally lose saved selections

-Expand capability so that you can save edge and point selections as well

Andreu

I'd love to see most of the things podperson mentioned plus:

- a kind of Free Form Deformer (as modifier);
- relax UVs
- (optional) render preview
- network rendering

this doesn't mean 6.0 isn't an awesome update already ;)

cheers,
Alessandro

I'd like to add pin selection for recording keys. (I.e. pick an object and click a pin button on th animation controller and that becomes the effective root for all subsequent record button clicks. This saves constant reclicking of a skeleton's root bone (sometimes three times for one record if you're looking for keys).

I'd like to add pin selection for recording keys. (I.e. pick an object and click a pin button on th animation controller and that becomes the effective root for all subsequent record button clicks. This saves constant reclicking of a skeleton's root bone (sometimes three times for one record if you're looking for keys).

This also gets my vote!

As this is a wish list thread... How about shader layers and named instead of numbered selections. If adding layers into the shader, how about adding a way to scale a certain layer to fit. A simple example... Put a ball on screen. Create a material of whatever colour and apply it. Create a second layer or new material and open up some drawn cartoon eyes as a png file or whatever. Scale it to fit and move around on the model to where you want it.

How about adding all of PodPersons pose utilities. These are a huge time saver. :)

If I select "only key changed parameters" that is what i expect it to do. For example, if I move a leg either using bones or rotating the actual polygons, it would key those changes and nothing else. I dont need or really want keys made throughout the entire hierarchy.

Lighting. How about a simple way to get certain lights to work only on certain models. Perhaps a way that could work would be if I placed all models I want to have lit by a point light, inside that lights own subtree. This would enable better lighting abilities.

Morph Tag - I have to look up how to use it every time. To me the obvious way to use it is click the plus and it would create a morph target with the slider fully enabled. Move the polygons to where you want them then finally slide the slider back to zero (which switched off that target) and thats it. click + again to create a new one and as before have the slider fully enabled, tweak the model and slide the slider back to zero/off to set it. That would be so much easier to remember and would work more intuitively. (As a side note, if you want to over drive a morph at some point then perhaps when you press the + you could slide the slider half way, tweak the model and then slide the slider to left to switch it off/ set it. Then while animating if you do happen to slide the slider past the half way point it would push it into a more extreme pose. Either that or add the ability for a numeric input to drive it further.)

Particle arrays - Need the ability to choose a random rotation/scale etc. For example if I use the surface mesh and place trees on a ground object I would like to have the ability to randomise the rotation and even perhaps the scale of each instance so that they are not so uniform.

There might be a reason for some of the above but I thought I would point out, as I get more into Cheetah, anything that doesn't seem to sit right.

I know it seems like I am constantly nit picking and so therefore it must seem like I hate Cheetah. Nothing could be further from the truth. I am just playing with everything and trying to get to grips with them and see where they could perhaps be improved/made more intuitive.

I just read the sticky at the top of this forum section. If required I will split out these thoughts into separate threads now.

Mike

Last edited:
Not sure if Martin gives this thread a serious look, but I decided to put some more thought into what I desire. I'll add as I go.

Modeling:

I really miss being able to precisely position elements. In Strata the grid system is amazingly flexible and complex. You can align a grid to a series of vertex normals so that mesh edits can be done in a focused area and not alter the mesh form.

Soft selection is something I extremely miss. Being able to alter a mesh shape in a localized area based on a selection is extremely useful in a wide variety of situations.

I'd love working planes but you can fake them in cheetah 3d using snapping.

What I'd really like is being able to type in values during a transformation operation.

Not sure if Martin gives this thread a serious look, but I decided to put some more thought into what I desire. I'll add as I go.

Yes, I read that thread and all other wishes.:wink: And some of the things in that thread will definitely make it into a 6.x update. For example things like soft selections and numerically precise positioning of the transform gadget will come for sure. Also additional working planes are very high on my todo list.

But I don't want to comment on all wishes since it is difficult to say yet how far I will come with my todo list for 6.x. And I don't want to disappoint anybody if I promise a feature for 6.x which I can't hold.

Bye
Martin

Last edited:
Particle arrays - Need the ability to choose a random rotation/scale etc. For example if I use the surface mesh and place trees on a ground object I would like to have the ability to randomise the rotation and even perhaps the scale of each instance so that they are not so uniform.

Hi Mike,
that is already possible with the "Particle Tag".

Bye
Martin

I don't think we can go back in time and add features to 6.0, unfortunately. So far we seem to have gotten slight improvements to the object browser.

That said, for all its flaws, Cheetah 3D remains my go-to favorite 3D program (and I own licenses to Cinema 4D and Modo).

I don't think we can go back in time and add features to 6.0, unfortunately. So far we seem to have gotten slight improvements to the object browser.

That said, for all its flaws, Cheetah 3D remains my go-to favorite 3D program (and I own licenses to Cinema 4D and Modo).

Of all the features I miss volumetrics would be top of my list.
Without it things like smoke, mist and clouds are difficult (if not impossible) to do convincingly and easily.
SSS is essential for human skin but this can be faked a little easier.
The ability to natively use movies as textures is also pretty important. (But I believe that Martin has already confirmed this for v7.)

I put the requests for SSS and Volumetrics in this thread to avoid cluttering up the forum with repeats. Maybe it's time for a 7.x request thread.

I believe the 7.x feature list is already decided, so I'm hoping it makes us happy. Along with volumetrics, I would add vector motion-blur and render-to-layers.

That said, I mainly use C3D for modeling and animation, so its rendering capabilities aren't that important to me. If I need a rendering feature, there's always Blender or Lux.

Back