3D Coat and C3D

3D Coat and C3D

Anyone on here use 3D Coat in conjunction with Cheetah 3D?

I have a slightly old copy of 3D Coat and was thinking of upgrading. For me, only $99.

I wish I knew something about what version 7 of Cheetah might have. Been thinking of upgrading my Cinema 4D, but even to the the lowest version (Prime) it would be expensive for me, plus it would be a downgrade of sorts because I was losing a lot of functionality.

So...the plan might be to buy Cheetah and upgrade 3D Coat.

I'm a hobbiest, and main interest is character animation.

Thanks.
Bob

The question: Does anyone here use Cheetah with 3D Coat.

I have a full version of 3D Coat, so my upgrade is $99.

Thanks for the link.

Bob

I've never seen any examples in the gallery attributed to 3d coat. Obviously at some point (2010-ish) there were at least two people using it :)

I have used 3dcoat with Cheetah3da but don't do it often as I have zero clue how to get the normal maps to show up properly in Cheetah3d.

Never could find any information (but I did not look that hard to be honest) on how to set all that up.

Saying that I am trying to figure it out again as I am really liking 3dCoat for hard surface modeling rather than Zbrush. So we will see what I figure out...

(Its probably to do with inverting some colour in the normal map to get it to show up... Will see.)

Yeah, I'm guessing C3D doesn't support displacement maps and I'm not sure how it works with normal maps, but if anyone has worked that out, I'd love to see it.

Bob

C3D does support displacement, but not via shader, so you'd need to set up the displacement using a modifier (I assume the displacement is UV-mapped).

Normal maps are more of an issue. I think on the whole if you wanted to use C3D to create the base mesh, from there your workflow would probably have to be 3D Coat then (say) Blender or Lux.

Funny you post that link. I was just thinking that I probably have that head example somewhere and I should try it out.

Thanks!

Hi Bob,

In the quite distant past I used both of them together, but to be honest I seem to like boxmodeling, so cheetah seems to do the job excellently...
One thing where I still see an advantage, until cheetah improves its uv painting toolset ;-) , is for texture/normal/bumpmap painting...

Kind regards,
Filip

Hi, Filip...

Yeah, I got used to box modeling myself. I doubt I could make anything useful starting from a clay ball and sculpting!

I would use it to paint details. Bring in an OBJ and add scales, bumps, wrinkles, etc.

Bob

I have used 3dcoat with Cheetah3da but don't do it often as I have zero clue how to get the normal maps to show up properly in Cheetah3d.

Never could find any information (but I did not look that hard to be honest) on how to set all that up.

(Its probably to do with inverting some colour in the normal map to get it to show up... Will see.)

Any updates on this? I've been trying to figure out how do this too.

Thanks, Shift Studio.

Back