Can not use select tool except "object mode"!!!

Can not use select tool except "object mode"!!!

I am trying to explore and learn Cheetah 3D.

I just understand why the selcet tool was not working ubder "point mode","edge mode" and "polygon mode"!

Attachments

• Snip20151206_7.jpg
    Snip20151206_7.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 281
You have a primitive Box object, to edit it and use different selection modes you need to make the Box editable by selecting it and choosing from menu Objects > Make Editable or double clicking on the green icon in Object browser.

If you don't like reading manuals check YouTube tutorials from NoVolume.

You have a primitive Box object, to edit it and use different selection modes you need to make the Box editable by selecting it and choosing from menu Objects > Make Editable or double clicking on the green icon in Object browser.

If you don't like reading manuals check YouTube tutorials from NoVolume.

Thank you, pjedvaj.

It works.
Works like Zbrush...

BTW, how come some modeling programs do not require the extra step (make editable) before modeling(select. extrude... and etc...) while Cheetah3D require that?

Any advantage?

Last edited:
Hi Leo Chen

* Whilst an object is in its original state (i.e. selected off the menu “polygon” by one of the associated sub-commands) you can access the specific parameters available for the object. In the case of a simple cube these are the dimensions and the sections X/Y/Z, in the case of a torus you have more complex parameters at your disposal to define the properties of the tube (and so on for other primitives).
* When an object is made editable it “collapses” into a mesh of polygons, i.e. a 3D grid of vertices / edges / faces with the minimal parameters of position, rotatation and scale.
* It is a bit like a dead parrot :tongue: By which I mean that you can´t undo editability. The new mesh is not resuscitable to any pre-editable status quo ante. If you have any doubt about your editing procedures to the original object: Save it into an invisible folder.

* Screen Shots:
* Properties panel top = torus original showing all associated params
* Properties panel bottom = editable torus showing the mesh params

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-12-06 at 18.00.03.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-06 at 18.00.03.png
    73 KB · Views: 246
  • Screen Shot 2015-12-06 at 18.00.09.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-06 at 18.00.09.png
    62.4 KB · Views: 247
Cheetah 3D gives you parametric primitives; the cube, sphere, torus, etc. These primitives, as Helmut said, have their own properties which can be changed at will. The ability to change the size, angle, etc. is what makes them Parametric. The primitives themselves are calculated by the software using math formulas. They are quick to load, very light on memory requirements, and can be changed when the user decides to alter their properties. The software changes some variables in the formula and recalculates the primitive. This is very similar to the way that vector shapes are calculated in Illustration programs.

To begin editing those primitives however, you can no longer use the math formulas that create them. Instead, they are converted into polygon faces, edges, and points. Now that they are Editable, you can begin shaping them to your liking. But a sphere is most likely not a sphere anymore. It is a polygon form that you begin moving and shaping into something like a character. This is similar to the way Bit Mapped graphics are created and edited in a Photo Editing program.

Both types of geometry have their uses. Hope that helps.

BTW, how come some modeling programs do not require the extra step (make editable) before modeling(select. extrude... and etc...) while Cheetah3D require that?

Any advantage?
I guess you´re talking about Silo. Well, does it have modifier-stack/animation capabilities? It seems you haven´t discovered modifiers and their non-destructive modeling possibilities yet. :p
This is made from a single parametric Torus with 1 transform/Twist/Bend-modifiers added: pure Cheetah3d BTW.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• Nispal.gif
    Nispal.gif
    431.3 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
Back