First model

First model

Hi everyone,

Just found out about Cheetah a few days ago - it's absolutely fantastic (nice one Martin!). I'm a design student and have been looking for a decent (and cheap) 3D app for months. I've tried all the demos of the usual suspects but was unsatisfied, especially as my mac is quite old/slow. Cheetah runs fine and the renderer is so quick!

Anyway, heres my first model - I wanted to take it further (texture maps etc) but had to get off the mac. This is done on the demo so unfortunately I don't have the model anymore.

Happy Cheetahing,

Tom :D

Attachments

• racer1_572.jpg
    racer1_572.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,927
Hi,
very nice. It looks like a mixture of a pod racer and a Ferrari. :D

Now I'm ready for "Star Wars Episode 3". :wink:

By,
Martin

P.S. Thanks for the nice words about Cheetah3D.

Thomas...

that is one absolutely beautiful model... and a first in C3d... wow...!!!

The rendering and the model are both fantastic...

I want one... now... :lol: :lol:

cheers
Trevor

Thanks guys

Thanks for the nice comments everyone,

Well this was my first Cheetah model after the axe and wine glass :wink:

Jake, I wanted to try out the symmetry tool and make a sort of 'Wipeout' style racer/Igarashi type vehicle (see http://www2.jan.ne.jp/~yutakai/).

Cheers,

Tom

Thomas,

You need to post that same model with it levitating off the surface as if it was hovering.

Better yet, get rid of plane below it and make it look like its floating in the square you used for an HDRI.

Which makes me think. Is there a way to put a plane below the object so it will receive a shadow but does not appear on camera? That way it will look like the object is casting a shadow in the the ground of the HDRI. Perhaps a transparent surface of some sort.

Sound dumb?

Sounds good...

Jake,

That's a nice idea but unfortunately I made the model with the demo version so couldn't save it :(

It would be great if you could make a shadow render on an invisible surface. I'll have to experiment... if not it could always be done in Photoshop.

I'll recreate a similar model sometime and image map it (once i've got to grips with the texture features).

Cheers

Tom

use anything but the distant light. When using the spot change the smooth cutoff angle to be the same or just inder the level of the cutoff angle. This will softwn the edge of the shadow.

The area light is what I use when I want softer shadows, but it takes longer to render. Thomas used an HDRI probe for his render.

Back