Rendering

It took 5.09 seconds to render. So... not under one second.
That seems mainly because of the use of different machines:

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• 1secScreenshot.jpg
    1secScreenshot.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 264
Been doing lots of tests - the fastest way to light this is pure HDRI, but there are trade-offs; splotchy shadows and the even lighting creates some lack of definition. Using only area lights (with geometry & no Radiosity) can take longer to render but have a more consistent look.

I modified Franks Area Light - I enlarged it to 20x20 and lowered it and reduced the samples to 7 (after many tests, 7 gets you even shadows in most cases) - I also did tests with adding a second light - see image for results.

Renders created on an iMac i7 Dual Quadcore with 16gb ram.
  1. This render is only HDRI lighting + Radiosity
  2. One Area light (20x20) directly above the scene @ 7 samples - Strength is 1.0
  3. Same as #2 PLUS smaller area light to one side - also 7 samples and 1.0 strength
  4. Same lighting configuration as #3, but samples for side area light are set to 1
PROs & CONs for each
  1. PRO - fastest render, even lighting. CON - lack of definition - splotchy shadows
  2. PRO - Better Shadows and reflection. CON - A little dark - Long render
  3. PRO - Better Highlights. Even & Consistent. CON Longest Render
  4. PRO - Highlights promote hard surface, modest render. CON Hard shadow
As you can see there are trade-offs and compromises - you'll have to judge for yourself what is most important. Personally, for animated scenes I choose NOT to use HDRI or Emissive Lighting with a Radiosity tag if possible due to splotchy shadow artifacts. There's nothing groundbreaking in the file, but I included it anyways as an easy start point for your own experiments - I didn't include the HDRI in the ZIP since it's the same.

Attachments

• RenderScene-Tests.jpg
    RenderScene-Tests.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 240
  • Scene.1_TESTs.jas.zip
    253.8 KB · Views: 208
Back