Candy-Swirled resin buttons

Candy-Swirled resin buttons

I've designed a two hole button (to be created in 5/8-inch and 3/4-inch) and I need to know the best way to apply an all-over print to the surface, with a full wrap, top, sides and bottom. I've included some ideas, all red, red/green and multi, mostly swirled and a render of the button base (not as cylinder-like as the texture examples).

Please, I keep struggling with UV Wrapping/unwrapping, so if that's how - I need a tutorial I think.

Attachments

• Candy-Buttons-texture.jpg
    Candy-Buttons-texture.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 276
  • Button-base-25angle-view.jpg
    Button-base-25angle-view.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 275
That is fairly easy. If you don´t mind the "bridges" connecting the holes you can simple call the UV-mapper tool in UV-editor mode - set it to "flat-projection" - rotate it H=270° and click OK at "Write UV coords" - move content to the template when it´s not there already. Save template to PDF - load in image editor - paint etc - save to image format and load into a new material for assigning to the knob - Done.
Or you can select the front side then the bottom half and call for "unwrap" - just the 2 bridges need a seam for a flat unwrapping. Place the 4 islands on the template to your liking - save to PDF etc pp.
If this doesn´t help at all come back and I´ll try to make a short video.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• knobUnwrapping.jpeg
    knobUnwrapping.jpeg
    90.8 KB · Views: 264
Make a wavy pattern and add offshoots to run over the edges. This pattern is in the zip file.

On the button put a 'seam' halfway down the outside edge, and halfway down each central hole, this should then automatically unwrap as shown.

Area select the top half and scale to fit pattern image so the sides fall where the offshoots begin, with the reverse side scaled the same. Area select reverse side, flip using Transform tool and move over the pattern to match the front side.

The pattern would probably need tweaking according to the button build. Hope this helps :)

Attachments

• Xmas-Button.gif
    Xmas-Button.gif
    148.5 KB · Views: 251
  • Button Map.jpg
    Button Map.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 256
  • Red Green Spiral.jpg.zip
    159.5 KB · Views: 207
Thank you both of you. I'll start playing with this and look still to learn more on UV mapping.

Frank - did you use the Make Circle script for the holes? I had used a Boolean with two cylinders (with a slight bulge to make the hole a bit smoother at entry and exit) but it wasn't very neat on the mesh.

Frank - did you use the Make Circle script for the holes?

Yes! I started with a 8/8 ball - made editable and delete the bottom half. Made the triangles at the top to quads by edge-deleting - one innerextrude on 2 polygons for the holes - use make-circle-script - inner extrude again on small negative extrude - than delete - add symmetry modifier - make editable - built bridge between holes in top and bottom - add sub-di-modifier ... almost done. :p

Cheers
Frank

All of you are amazing. Now to find a manufacturer. Whoopee.
Pat - Thanks so much for the pattern. Wonderful work.
Thank you all.

Attachments

• Candy-Button-sml-edge.jpg
    Candy-Button-sml-edge.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 237
Banging my head on this one. I cannot get the textures to align on this, and I have tried everything I could think of. Anyone have any Ideas? The file is enclosed. Thanks

Attachments

• Button6.jpg
    Button6.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 212
  • Button.zip
    194.7 KB · Views: 205
Hi Bob.
Use the UV-mapper with flat projection on the whole mesh and you´re done:

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• KnobUVmapper2.png
    KnobUVmapper2.png
    64.6 KB · Views: 167
It doesn´t matter - just make sure the UV-mapper is set to the right rotation:

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• KnobFlatMapping.png
    KnobFlatMapping.png
    48 KB · Views: 160
It doesn´t matter - just make sure the UV-mapper is set to the right rotation:

Cheers
Frank

That worked very nicely but here is a question?
If you can answer it. If I send this to some one or sell it [this is hypothetical.]
If asked about the UV mapping.
Is it overlapping?
If it is.
Is there a way to make it non overlapping.
Or am I looking at this the wrong way?
I would appreciate your views. Thanks

That worked very nicely but here is a question?
If you can answer it. If I send this to some one or sell it [this is hypothetical.]
If asked about the UV mapping.
Is it overlapping?
If it is.
Is there a way to make it non overlapping.
Or am I looking at this the wrong way?
I would appreciate your views. Thanks

Regarding your texture I recommend the UV-mapper on the whole mesh - but if you need top+button to be two islands you can use selections and call for "unwrap" - but I don´t know why you need the bottom differently - and/or you can select some polygon-loops "around" the edge and call for "unwrap" - so your texture will match the edge of the button perfectly. Not sure if this will answer your questions though.

Cheers
Frank

Back